Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2018, 12:49:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

97486 Posts in 13132 Topics by 2132 Members
Latest Member: NovA ProspekT
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  3.9/5.2/5.9 (Moderators: Lynn, 98Dak408)  |  Topic: The Bionic Build 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Bionic Build  (Read 26231 times)
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2018, 05:36:10 PM »

I would probably go with either the fel pro 1008 or factory gasket which is about 0.40"  - might need thicker yet depending on deck height, piston to wall clearance and CR.
What would you CR be with that setup?

BUT it depends on your piston to cyl. wall clearance - if it is tight like the factory pistons (OEM specs (0.001-0.002") you can run as tight as 0.30 piston to head clearance but that is about the tightest, 0.40" would be safer.   MORE piston to cyl wall clearance will require slightly more piston to head clearance as the piston rocks at TDC and can hit the head.
I did find this, but it was about a small block chevy but most all wedge head engines are the same.

So now let’s introduce a tighter quench space into this equation. All of the respected engine builders who we’ve talked to are firm believers in minimizing the quench clearance. According to Ken Duttweiler, the tightest quench he recommends is around 0.050-inch. He has built engines with far tighter clearances than this, but much of this depends on the piston-to-wall clearance. All pistons tend to rock slightly as they transition through TDC and this rocking motion reduces the piston-to-head clearance. Smaller-diameter pistons with tight piston-to-wall clearances don’t rock nearly as much in the cylinder bore compared to larger-bore pistons with wider piston-to-wall clearances.
Since piston clearance plays such a big part in piston-to-head clearance, it is possible to run a piston-to-head clearance tighter than 0.040-inch if you feel brave. Noted horsepower hero John Lingenfelter says that clearances of 0.037 to 0.040 inch are possible, but you must know what you’re doing. The late Smokey Yunick also recommended a quench clearance of 0.040 inch as a safe but critical clearance.

My pistons came out to zero deck clearance.  The Machine shop recommended "at least" .050 thick head gaskets for this reason.

I'm probably gonna use Cometic head gaskets, I found some online that were .040 overbore and .051 thick.  Does this sound like the right gasket? Also Richard/HiPoTek can you get these? And what would compression be with this size gasket?

My other question is there a cheaper head gasket I can use for "Mock Up" with clay that is the same or close thickness to make sure I don't have Piston to valve clearance issues?  Or should I just spring for 2 sets of Cometic head gaskets.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 05:46:26 PM by magnumman » Logged

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This thing is a turd.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow. Seems like the more I beat on it the faster it goes.
98Dak408
Site Donor
Administrator
Bionic Wh0re!

« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2018, 11:40:10 PM »

My pistons came out to zero deck clearance.  The Machine shop recommended "at least" .050 thick head gaskets for this reason.

I'm probably gonna use Cometic head gaskets, I found some online that were .040 overbore and .051 thick.  Does this sound like the right gasket? Also Richard/HiPoTek can you get these? And what would compression be with this size gasket?

My other question is there a cheaper head gasket I can use for "Mock Up" with clay that is the same or close thickness to make sure I don't have Piston to valve clearance issues?  Or should I just spring for 2 sets of Cometic head gaskets.
Yes I can get the Cometic head gaskets.  The .051 is the compressed thickness.  Nothing beats using the actual material you are going to use but you might want to check the OEM gasket you removed for its compressed thickness.  It may be something around .054 but I don't remember off the top of my head. 

magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #182 on: October 10, 2018, 05:40:05 PM »

The compressed thickness of my old "stock" head gasket is .044.

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This thing is a turd.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow. Seems like the more I beat on it the faster it goes.
Bionicdodge.Com
Advertisement
Thanks to the following sponsor

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  3.9/5.2/5.9 (Moderators: Lynn, 98Dak408)  |  Topic: The Bionic Build « previous next »
Jump to: