Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2019, 05:17:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

99255 Posts in 14257 Topics by 2137 Members
Latest Member: ssteve/t
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  All Things Off Road - Tires, Suspension & More (Moderators: donram360, adamsredlines)  |  Topic: Mud Terrain Tires 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mud Terrain Tires  (Read 9931 times)
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 07:44:53 PM »

Well said Btwilkjr!!!!

I don't think Cooper is stock on any US assembled car.  By bud bought a ford fusion 09 and expedition 2012 new and both came from the dealer with pirelli. Dodge for the past 11 years at least have liked Michelin. And I dont know many people with new chevy's anymore, even the company I work for quit buying chevy's because of the recalls or TSB's keeping the fleet mechanics to busy and backed up. Plus if a truck is down where I work the techs have nothing drive, so they get paid for no productive work, thats why the chevy's are being removed from our fleet. Im not sure who the foreign named US assembled cars/trucks are using.

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This is my Son's truck now.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow.

2012 Ram 5.7 Hemi Outdoorsman, 4x4, LSD, Air Bag Suspension.
Trav1s
You can call me "Rev"
Bionic Master

Saint and Sinner

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 05:29:05 AM »

Cooper is not OEM but does lots of private brand work for retailers like Sears, Pep Boys, and NTB.  They also have tires that are only available at big box stores like NTB.  The Discoverer LSX (I think that is the right name) that were on my WJ when it picked it up were only available at NTB.  Unfortunately the very thing that made American industry great will also be its demise.

Driver - 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Columbia Edition 4.7 HO
Toys - Two different 1968 Plymouth Sport Furys - both 383/auto in pieces for a while
"Seek or not, God is there" - Carl Jung
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 05:59:28 AM »

Chris, we actually have to be the way we are with employees because there's no skilled workforce any more. Tool makers are drying up and retiring, it's a great trade that you can (if you really work) make a great living. Thing is the younger generation coming up wants no part of a shop, or hard work or apprenticeships it having to work your way up, they want top dollar from day one to do nothing!  I'm only 34 but worked my way up to become general manager, and minor owner. That's not a bragging statement just the fact rmi knew what I wanted and worked HARD for it. The owners and I joke that in ten years we won't have any help and the three of us will be on the floor running machines.

My son is 19 and this is what he wants to get into he does CNC now and is bored with being a "button pusher"
He's in the community college right now taking all the welding he can plus, lubricants, rigging and such he already has taken all the machine tool they offer;  Like me he is quickly getting tired of being referred to "employment agencies" rather than gbeing able to talk to anyone at the companies, directly.

On your comments about global demand; I am fed up and tired of that excuse for the reasons prices are doing as they are; if China is using more then they should be paying for what they use, not us.  I do not understand why China or any other country's usage of whatever makes our price increase; are we paying for ours and theirs too, with them getting whatever they want for free at our expense? 
on the flip side you know what a volume discount is; if they blame price increases here in the States on "global" demand that is backwards. more people using a product, they make more, the average cost of production per unit goes down/ so should the cost, at our end.
Btwilkjr
Bionic Senior

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 04:51:08 PM »

Don, make sure he takes up anything that's precision welding. We have laser welders that you weld through a micro scope to see your bead. I've seen them lay beads at .010". Why I say this is it opens him up to more than tool and die it opens up Aerospace, medical, electronics and a lot more that need precision welds. He should still take tool and die because in a few years the younger guys can right their own meal ticket, and the more capabilities and more diversified they are, the better chance at making a good living they have. Because unfortunately we are at a point where we need more out of people than before. Which is a reason we had to invest in robotics on machines so one guy one shift can get 24/7 out of 3 machines.

02 Ram 1500 4x4 QCSB extensive lift mods and offroad equipment
95 Ram 2500 4x4 ECSB 48" Tires 15"lift 440ci fi big block
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 07:22:11 PM »

Don, make sure he takes up anything that's precision welding. We have laser welders that you weld through a micro scope to see your bead. I've seen them lay beads at .010". Why I say this is it opens him up to more than tool and die it opens up Aerospace, medical, electronics and a lot more that need precision welds. He should still take tool and die because in a few years the younger guys can right their own meal ticket, and the more capabilities and more diversified they are, the better chance at making a good living they have. Because unfortunately we are at a point where we need more out of people than before. Which is a reason we had to invest in robotics on machines so one guy one shift can get 24/7 out of 3 machines.

Good advice above!  Precision welding skills can be used in many job types and employers are dying for them. I know the local IBEW and Pipefitter Unions have people unemployed right now because the only demand jobs they got are welding jobs and most don't know how to weld or know how to run advanced welding equipment. Plus the apprentiships are a year shorter for incoming apprentices that have the schooling or experience of precision welding.

Plus the precision welding gives your Son the opportunity to start his own business, the demand for that skill right now is booming.

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This is my Son's truck now.

jee61245
Bionic Newbie

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 06:25:34 PM »

Hey all
I am new to this forum so first of all my name is Roger
I have a 97 wrangler TJ and a 90 wrangler YJ and an 84 Dodge Powerwagon or Power Ram Which ever you prefer. anyway I have BF Goodrich onthe powerwagon and on the 97 wrangler TJ and Cooper Discoverer ATRs on the 90 Wrangler YJ . All seem to be excellent tires but I beleive the Coopers are a little bit better. especially for wear and ride.
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 07:22:46 PM »

Welcome to the site Roger!

donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 12:24:31 PM »

I have been seeing a lot more kuhmo's as OE lately.... the prison has ~6 new Caravans and that's what they have. YUCK!
Richie
Global Moderator
Bionic Master

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 02:36:14 PM »

My journey had kuhmo and they were junk IMHO.

Big a** supercharged 4.7L HO, cammed, Custom made Supercharger COG drive system, 72mm F&B throttle body, ROSS ceramic coated pistons, Billet H beam rods, 1st set of race prepped big valves heads W/ behive springs, Custom one off sheet metal intake, Modified Edelbrock Mustang intake elbow, ATI super dampner, 3,000 Edge racing billet stall converter, meth injected, SCT tuned, 60# injectors, Aeromotive Eliminator fuel pump, Aeromotive -12 Fuel Filter, Boost reference FPR, Custom fuel cell, Braided stainless line and AN fittings, Aeromotive Billet fuel controller,  2 bar map, Turbo Smart Race Port BOV, 180d* T stat, True dual exhuast, Built tranny W/ deep trans pan, built transfer case, 275 60 R17 rubber.
Btwilkjr
Bionic Senior

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 03:24:25 PM »

Well I forgot Anoyt this thread. I ended up as hard as it is to believe going with Hankook Dynapro ATM's on my winter rims, and the Dynapro MT's on my summer rims. I've read nothing but great reviews, I know they aren't American made and trust me that was difficult to come to grips with. Problem is its becoming impossible to find tires made in the U.S.A.  And after the poor quality of the last few sets of Coopers plus the lock out issue, I'm willing to give these Hankooks a chance. Plus to be really upfront on this, the mechanic that attends church sells them at his garage and I got the ATM's in a 325/80/17 (37-13.5-17) for $1,100 out the door and the MT's in 37x13.50x17 for $1,200 put the door. So seeing I was spending over $1600 for Coopers, that was also a factor.

northwest_5.9
Bionic Senior

shake it, don't break it!

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »

what were the toyo's?

2003 Hemi Ram 2500 4x4 (sold)
1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9, EQ 2.02, 210x cam, Hughes air gap, 52mm tb, Hemifever jucied up-(gone to car heaven)
2006 Grand Cherokee SRT-Mopar CAI 91 OCT. Tune
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 06:52:40 PM »

what were the toyo's?

I believe toyo's are both made in USA and japan. The common driver tires I think are USA and I believe the high end stuff is still japan.

Btwilkjr
Bionic Senior

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 11:33:21 AM »

Toyo's were more than the Coopers, though I found blemishes a little cheaper, but still not as cheap the Hankooks. The Toyo's were made in China at least the MT's I was looking at. Another thing I've kept hearing about Toyo's are they have awesome traction but are a softer compound and they wear fast. I was looking for something that didn't wear as quick this time around as it's starting to get expensive having to buy two sets every couple of years.

northwest_5.9
Bionic Senior

shake it, don't break it!

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 05:43:36 PM »

my toyos m/t's are made in the usa, or so it says.

2003 Hemi Ram 2500 4x4 (sold)
1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9, EQ 2.02, 210x cam, Hughes air gap, 52mm tb, Hemifever jucied up-(gone to car heaven)
2006 Grand Cherokee SRT-Mopar CAI 91 OCT. Tune
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 06:34:42 PM »

my toyos m/t's are made in the usa, or so it says.

FYI to everyone. 

In order for a product to get permission by law to print the "made in USA" label, the product must contain atleast 70% USA sourced parts/ingredients and that content must be assembled/manufactured in the USA.

Bionicdodge.Com
Advertisement
Thanks to the following sponsor

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  All Things Off Road - Tires, Suspension & More (Moderators: donram360, adamsredlines)  |  Topic: Mud Terrain Tires « previous next »
Jump to: