Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 05:09:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

94844 Posts in 11594 Topics by 2100 Members
Latest Member: 500CID
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Transmission & Drivetrain (Moderators: Salarguy, donram360)  |  Topic: 44RE vs 46RE 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 44RE vs 46RE  (Read 5786 times)
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 06:17:22 PM »

I know I'm a newbie here with very limited knowledge on engines...and excuse me for posting in a three yr old thread but Kevlar was mentioned as band material. It got my attention. When I was on my second transmission blow out built with dealer parts and assembled by the dealer.... I learned much as a result. After hours of research and lurking on this site I went to PATC to buy parts... I remember specifically being told and reading back in 2010 that Kevlar has no heat resistance but phenomenal tensile and shear pressure strength. I was told a carbon fiber band is by far the absolute best choice of materials as heat resistance is phenomenal, unlike Kevlar..and the tensile, compression and sideload pressures are nearly equal to that of Kevlar......Believe Nathan at PATC confirmed it...   of course my tranny as per PATC will withstand 500HP, not whatever is thrown at it..... as per Nathan on VIPER 2 PATC trans package I used

Enjoy........
JB
PATC rebuild kits are good from reviews I have heard.

Are you going to get a new torque converter? 

And do you tow anything and if so whats the max weight?

Most Viper Stall converters are 3000 stall.  If you tow or have a large payload most of the time, the Viper torque converter may not be right for you.  Towing with a Viper stall equals transmission failure.

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This thing is a turd.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow. Seems like the more I beat on it the faster it goes.
Boos RamSport
Bionic Junior

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 04:18:07 AM »

I know I'm a newbie here with very limited knowledge on engines...and excuse me for posting in a three yr old thread but Kevlar was mentioned as band material. It got my attention. When I was on my second transmission blow out built with dealer parts and assembled by the dealer.... I learned much as a result. After hours of research and lurking on this site I went to PATC to buy parts... I remember specifically being told and reading back in 2010 that Kevlar has no heat resistance but phenomenal tensile and shear pressure strength. I was told a carbon fiber band is by far the absolute best choice of materials as heat resistance is phenomenal, unlike Kevlar..and the tensile, compression and sideload pressures are nearly equal to that of Kevlar......Believe Nathan at PATC confirmed it...   of course my tranny as per PATC will withstand 500HP, not whatever is thrown at it..... as per Nathan on VIPER 2 PATC trans package I used

Correction: carbon fiber far exceeds Kevlar in heat resistance.. I stated Kevlar has "no" heat resistance..

Enjoy........
JB
PATC rebuild kits are good from reviews I have heard.

Are you going to get a new torque converter?  

And do you tow anything and if so whats the max weight?

Most Viper Stall converters are 3000 stall.  If you tow or have a large payload most of the time, the Viper torque converter may not be right for you.  Towing with a Viper stall equals transmission failure.

PATC is money well spent... When my tranny blew in Downers Grove after coming back from Joliet I got fed up with Dodge screwing me with "stories" of updated inprovements. I spent hours researching to see where the problems were and weaknesses in Dodge transmissions.. It was the band anchor, the band material and specifically a "thrust washer" that sits in the overdrive area of the trans.. I knew I wanted a "solid transmission" and went to PATC after seeing it on this forum and Nathan steered me to a "Viper 2" package with bands, Red Eagle plats and Kolene steels.. My dad said the Kolenes were excellent in metallurgy and I also added a "BullyDog Deisel governor solenoid from a different vendor. My tans shop was blown away with the quality of parts and installed it behind a 2200 stall convertor as I wasn't building a tractor pull monster or a 10 second truck but a DD that hauls construction material. That ws in 2010 and itll still snap your neck today..LOL..If it was running that is..Its the ram with the torn apart engine found in my other threads..
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:07:59 PM by Boos RamSport » Logged
98Dak408
Site Donor
Administrator
Bionic Wh0re!

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 01:47:32 PM »

Yeah, Nathan is alright.  I do business with PATC and am running their Viper series 2800 stall convertor with my 408.  I've bumped the cam up a bit and may want a higher stall but I'm going to see how it goes when I get it running again first before considering something bigger.  My truck is more of a road warrior anyway.    Laughing

1998 Dakota  R/T CC; 408 Stroker; Comp 220/230, SCT; Ported Eddy’s; M1; HiPoTek 53.6 mm TB; MP Headers; Single 3 1/2" Exhaust; Transgo; PATC 2800; Motive 4.56; Auburn LSD; Hotchkis TVS - 2/3 Drop; Sidewinder Customs 13" Viper Brakes; HiPoTek X-Brace, Driveshaft Loops, Engine Torque Strap, and Differential Cover.
Boos RamSport
Bionic Junior

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 01:55:35 PM »

Yeah, Nathan is alright.  I do business with PATC and am running their Viper series 2800 stall convertor with my 408.  I've bumped the cam up a bit and may want a higher stall but I'm going to see how it goes when I get it running again first before considering something bigger.  My truck is more of a road warrior anyway.    Laughing
v

Yea...I'm happy with what I have too.. All my dealings were good and it delivered as promised and a bit more.. my ram is a road warrior too..Its seen 14 states from 04 to 12 doing property claims....

I was reading on MP lifters on your site today and liked what I seen.. It's a toss up between Hylift and MP... will more than likely get MP through you when I get to part buying mode...

Enjoy
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Transmission & Drivetrain (Moderators: Salarguy, donram360)  |  Topic: 44RE vs 46RE « previous next »
Jump to: