Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2018, 02:02:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

96290 Posts in 12260 Topics by 2123 Members
Latest Member: YachtLife
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Community  |  Off Topic (Moderators: jusdeez, northwest_5.9)  |  Topic: made in China bites again and again and AGAIN! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: made in China bites again and again and AGAIN!  (Read 1643 times)
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« on: March 06, 2016, 07:15:44 AM »

just came down from the attic, after replacing the attic vent fan. I did a full re roof job, went from shingles to a steel roof back in fall of 2009.

I replaced the original at that time just because it "looked old" but was still working.  There were bit corners of 4 different colors of shingles embedded in the flashing on the housing/ I figure it may have been the original fan from 1965 when the house was built.  When I replaced that original fan I was thinking "Preventive maintenance"/ "Fix it while I'm in there".... but today's replacement is the 3rd one in just over 6 years...

The Hell of it all is that the box said "MADE IN USA" on it in huge letters... I pulled it from the box and instantly saw the "made in China" sticker on the motor. I even called the Company and bitched at them about their false advertising, and was told that "there was enough American content within for them to be able to make that claim" I say BS to that. It supposedly has a lifetime warranty. That is also BS... I have to hire a licensed electrician to officially condemn it and to do the install.  Then they only pay for the new motor not the labor. The motors are much less than the service call would be...
The 1st one that went out on me about 3 years ago, I had to buy a whole new unit. I pirated the motor and temp/humidistat control from it and scrapped the housing.  This time, i see they sell "just the motor" for about 1/2 the cost of the new unit.  But the original is 4.3 Amps and has a resistor attached to the side, the only replacement I can find that is "that" brand (in stores or online)  is 3.4A and no resistor. so I doubt this one will make another 3 years. and I ain't pulling up the steel panel off the roof, to access the whole housing to replace the whole unit.
I don't get paid for redo's in home repair especially on my own place. Redo's due to trial and error are  one thing but redo's because of inferior product are a whole nother matter and are the ones that pizz me off the most.
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 06:11:54 PM »

Hey Don,  You know I have a Journeyman IBEW card right?  Just a hint...   I'll wire it up for you for free and if you need me to bill them I will.  Usually the licenses aren't something that the actual Tradesman has unless they own their own business,  their usually on file with the employer or hiring contractor. 

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This thing is a turd.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow. Seems like the more I beat on it the faster it goes.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 01:49:58 AM »

thanks, but it's only 2 wires... they want a "certified" electrician to "pronounce it dead" and their warranty wont pay for the service call just the defective product, the motor costs less than it would to call someone out... (for those with no "know how") generally that part would exceed the cost of (another) motor... besides the orig reciept is long since gone to prove I bought the stupid thing/
just stupid how the one I took out was still functional after more years than I have been around, I just replaced it as a "preventive maintenance thing, and in 6 years I have had to replace it 3 TIMES....
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 12:48:34 PM »

and again... the local parts stores are increasingly "not" carrying the better grade, name brand brake shoes; only wanting to offer the cheaper, "house" brand. -- having just bought a new to me 92 Dakota that needed them replaced, and had it apart at the time got what was available.  Well I had to take out the E brake links and grind the slots a bit to get them to seat against the top anchor and with the star wheels verified to be all the way screwed in as short as it would go, the drum still would not go on, in 30+ years of working on brakes for a living I have never had to do this but I wound up taking a little bit off the inside of the slots in the star wheel adjusters, and now that they are on there they are the noisiest brake shoes I have ever experienced... metal to metal worn out ones don't make this much noise, the closest I experience are semi's which have a more aggressive material; needed to bring 80K lbs to a halt for sure...

So I went to another parts store and requested the Wagner brake shoes... I had to SPECIAL ORDER them and not only were they 2x the price but they charged me an additional $7 freight.... and when they finally arrived 2 weeks later what did the box say? You know, "made in China",    when did they move over there? I have not yet put them onto my truck. I do not want to.
W T F?? even paying more than 2x the price, I STILL wind up with Chinese brakes for my Michigan built Dakota... man that pizzes me off to no end.... is there anything better available now a days??? I gotta get these noisey shoes off of there...and do NOT want Chinese ones!!!
MadKaw
Site Donor
Global Moderator
Bionic Senior

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 03:07:56 AM »

Of the 100's of different pad / shoe part numbers we stock, 90% are either from China or India.
I am surprised you are having a noise issue. I run the "gold" semi-metallic pads up front and the "silver" organic shoes in the rear - no problems. Yes, they are phasing out parts for our archaic trucks. Try picking up wiper blades brake hoses or a caliper for a '73 Dart - everything must be ordered. This is why I have extra everything for the Darts and the Daks. Soon, we'll have to contact NPD, LMC or Year One for parts!

Quality is a crap shoot regardless of where you go or what you buy.
Volume and the almighty dollar over quality.
This is why I enjoy seeing cottage industries like HyPoTek building their own parts - quality parts.
They stake their rep and their future on the what they build and sell.     

magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 05:08:35 PM »

Brake shoes are a dying breed unless you drive a big rig.  My friend needed a water pump for his 350 Chevy, he couldn't find a reman or nothing local, he got new one "made in China" that lasted 6 months... This is our future unfortunately.  To be honest the "Cash for Clunkers" incentive they offered years ago when the economy was awful, killed off many of the Reman parts suppliers here in the states. 

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow. Seems like the more I beat on it the faster it goes.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 01:06:03 AM »

yeah but even with cash 4 clunkers, there are still alot of vehicles out there with this setup on them. and something as important as good brakes (and suspension/front end) you would think that they would ban/outlaw the bottom of the barrel $#!t parts...
My cousin who has owned my old 83 D 250 3/4 ton, went to the Auto zone down in Watseka (closest to where he lives) and the young kid behind the counter told them that they don't have brake parts and axle seals for that old of vehicle... even though Dodge and Ford both used those same exact parts for at least another 10 years (more than that for Ford)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 01:09:25 AM by donram360 » Logged
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 01:29:06 PM »

and again... now MOOG?  W T F?  Over the past year and 1/2 I have had my 4wd Dakota I have rebuilt the whole front end. Idler and pitman before I ever drove it under its own power for myself (bought truck with trans and Tcase laying in bed, I rebuilt the trans) about 20K miles ago.  Right at a year ago I did all 4 ball joints. 12-15k miles ago. This past weekend I had to replace the upper control arm bushings. All MOOG, all USA made except the bushings, those said Mexico. Not as bad as some places they could come from.
Well screw it, the "might as well's" got me, the only thing left would be the tie rod ends. 22 years old and 190k miles on the truck, and I am already kinda forced to head to the alignment shop on account of doing the control arm bushings (and thereby taking apart the camber/caster adnustment points), so I decided to replace all 4 tie rod ends.  Called Advance and Oreillys, nobody had any that were less than 2 days away,  plus they were $41 for inners and $63 for the outers A PIECE! so I came online and checked Rock Auto. I could get all 4 for what they wanted for just the 2 inners locally.  Just for the He11 of it I tried Amazon. Still MOOG, but wow, cheaper YET! I figured maybe a warehouse closeout somewhere....
Got the outers yesterday/ made in Mexico. got the inners today. Again. they are MOOG, or at least the boxes look like Moog color and print wise.... but they came from freaking CHINA!!!!!   I am not sure whether to run them, or send them back and order from Rockauto, or just run the old inners and just replace the outers//////    no "play" felt in either inner, only reason for replacement is because everything else is new, so why not those too...…
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 05:58:48 PM »

and again... now MOOG?  W T F?  Over the past year and 1/2 I have had my 4wd Dakota I have rebuilt the whole front end. Idler and pitman before I ever drove it under its own power for myself (bought truck with trans and Tcase laying in bed, I rebuilt the trans) about 20K miles ago.  Right at a year ago I did all 4 ball joints. 12-15k miles ago. This past weekend I had to replace the upper control arm bushings. All MOOG, all USA made except the bushings, those said Mexico. Not as bad as some places they could come from.
Well screw it, the "might as well's" got me, the only thing left would be the tie rod ends. 22 years old and 190k miles on the truck, and I am already kinda forced to head to the alignment shop on account of doing the control arm bushings (and thereby taking apart the camber/caster adnustment points), so I decided to replace all 4 tie rod ends.  Called Advance and Oreillys, nobody had any that were less than 2 days away,  plus they were $41 for inners and $63 for the outers A PIECE! so I came online and checked Rock Auto. I could get all 4 for what they wanted for just the 2 inners locally.  Just for the He11 of it I tried Amazon. Still MOOG, but wow, cheaper YET! I figured maybe a warehouse closeout somewhere....
Got the outers yesterday/ made in Mexico. got the inners today. Again. they are MOOG, or at least the boxes look like Moog color and print wise.... but they came from freaking CHINA!!!!!   I am not sure whether to run them, or send them back and order from Rockauto, or just run the old inners and just replace the outers//////    no "play" felt in either inner, only reason for replacement is because everything else is new, so why not those too...…

If you send them back you will receive the exact same chinese part from rockauto, unless if rockauto some older stock on shelf.  Those are legitimate Moog parts made in China.  Its the world we live in now.  Most people now buy new cars before they let a shop or dealer rip them off and these people don't want to learn how to fix their own cars.  With Moog wanting to supply the older parts and fewer Dakotas on the road, they can't afford to keep a production line dedicated to it in the USA to make some of these parts.  Sad but true.

98Dak408
Site Donor
Administrator
Bionic Wh0re!

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 01:02:07 AM »

I am working on a proto type tubular upper control arm for the '97-04 Dakota and upon removing my drive's side control arm I noticed that the control arm pivot shaft is bent.  Not sure how that happened other than possibly a nasty or a number of nasty Michigan pot holes over the years.  You can't buy pivot shafts separately so I bout 3 Moog upper control arms the other day from Rockauto.  Yes they are made in China.  And no they are not to factory specs.  The OEM pivot shaft bearing surface is about 5/8" DIA.  The Moog now have about a 3/4" DIA bearing surface so they should be stronger,  However, the Energy suspension poly urethane bushings I want to use don't fit the larger shaft and the replacement rubber bushings are designed to fit the OEM shaft DIA. 

So basically, if you buy the aftermarket Moog upper control arms and the bushing later go bad, you'll have to replace the whole control arm to do so.  I returned those to Rockauto.  I then saw Mevotech has what they call an "Overbuilt" upper control arm and an "OEM Like". So I called them in Canada and asked the tech department if the "OEM Like" used the original OEM spec shaft.  All I got was a song-and-dance that told me nothing of value. So I ordered the "OEM Like" and it was the same as the Moog.  Also made in China.  So I am going to return that.  The last choice was some other brand  but then I notice it has the same part number as the Moog and is probably the same thing at $20 less.  So I am out of luck with a new replacement upper control arm with OEM specs unless I go to the junk yard.  I suspect one company in China makes the upper control arms and are rebadged from there.

donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 02:01:09 AM »

If you send them back you will receive the exact same chinese part from rockauto, unless if rockauto some older stock on shelf.  Those are legitimate Moog parts made in China.  Its the world we live in now.  Most people now buy new cars before they let a shop or dealer rip them off and these people don't want to learn how to fix their own cars.  With Moog wanting to supply the older parts and fewer Dakotas on the road, they can't afford to keep a production line dedicated to it in the USA to make some of these parts.  Sad but true.
these didn't come from Rockauto, I just checked them for price. These came from Amazon, they were cheaper yet at the moment. but still MOOG, so I would have never thought they'd be China made. Never seen it from Moog before now.
That made me more mad, because this is the 1st time I have ever seen anything from them that says "China" on it.   They do look different, different machining and such than the outers that I got from Amazon for this same job.

Thing is, I have a pair of outer tie rod ends here on my shelf for a Dakota, that I bought a couple years ago, MOOG, and these did come from Rockauto. They were "private label closeout", and almost give a way price (like $5.something a piece, same price as these most recent ones I am complaining about that came from Amazon.)   I pulled them out of the box because I thought they were outers for a 4WD... no, they are for my 2WD, so wouldn't work on this truck. they are for my other Dakota, the 92.
THESE particular tie rod ends are in a Car Quest box, says right on it "made for Car Quest by MOOG", you know, old school car Quest before the Advance Auto buyout.....and for the same price as these inners for my 4WD, they are true MOOG and made in the good old USA...….     
I buy a lot of parts from Rockauto like that, may not need them today but since I have 2 Dakotas I buy up what I can when I can. Got tons of 318/360 Magnum gaskets that way, 8-1/4" rear end cover gaskets, etc. from them.

So, I thought I was getting the same thing from Amazon, some old overstock like those last ones that I did buy from Rockauto for my 2wd truck...… I thought wrong....
I wonder what I'd get if I had gone to Oreillys and paid $63 a piece for their MOOG inners???? probably the same Chinese crap, huh?
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 04:37:22 PM »

I suspect one company in China makes the upper control arms and are rebadged from there.

This is 100% correct!  Its not just a dodge thing its an older vehicle thing.  My local friend just rebuilt his 1987 Monte Carlo "LT1 with LS heads". He's been through 4 brake proportioning valves in the past 5 months.  He's bought 1 from rockauto, 1 from napa, 1 from advance and 1 from autozone "3 different brands",  all have the same part number stamped in the exact same spot on the part itself.

I wonder what I'd get if I had gone to Oreillys and paid $63 a piece for their MOOG inners???? probably the same Chinese crap, huh?

Absolutely, Same part just way over priced.

donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 05:08:35 PM »

ya know, I was just in OWrongley's with my son, either Friday or Saturday, he blew (another) made in China crapola wheel cylinder on his 3/4 ton 4WD from there... "brake BEST.... they certainly AIN'T the best, "by far". soaked the shoes, whole works.
They are stupid expensive on their fluids and such. Farm and Fleet down the road is 1/2 the price or less.... but the kid didn't want to drive a mile down the street to save money. "Let's get it all while we are here".
like store brand brake clean... $5 a can.... brake fluid over $7 a quart.... and more. I have bought more from there than I would like, since they came to town, but after I saw this today I am going to try and minimize my trips there.....
As the clerk was scanning each item so we could pay and get outta there, on their computer screen in the top left corner of the screen that itemizes everything you buy before it totals it and prints the receipt, I saw a number briefly pop up for a second and go away. 281%.... 174%... 223%..... 247%..... 168%...….  I tried to get the kid to notice but it didn't stay on screen long enough each time to get him to notice.... but I think that this percentage that popped up there just for a split second then disappeared, was the percent of markup the store was making on each item..... insane.    I do but more and more online though I despise putting my CC number over my computer screen, when I can get 2 inner tie rod ends (genuine MOOG), 2 outer tie rod ends (also genuine MOOG) a set of front brake pads (Wagner thermos Quiet) and a pair of genuine Bendix rotors for my truck for less than OWrongley's wanted for only 1 each inner and outer tie rod end
it is extremely tough to buy locally!!!! $110.00 delivered to my door for that whole list of parts..... OWrongleys would have been $220 just for the 4 tie rods, the brakes would have been another $120 for the same parts that I got....
I got 4tie rod ends, 2 rotors, and a set of brake pads for $110 total including shipping!!!!!   This buy happened to be from Amazon but I get from Rockauto, Craigslist, and Ebay all the time. For that amount of difference, I'll wait a day or 2 for my parts..... though I don't see myself doing this for anything with a core, or is highly likely to need to be warrantied during its lifetime, that stuff I have to still get in town.
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 06:54:13 PM »

Many years ago when I worked at Daniels Auto Supply "now Fisher".  We had "Jobber" price which was the no profit cost, also "wholesale price" which is what we charged the markup to Repair and Body shops 10% to 20% depending on their contract with the store, and "Retail price" was always a 20% to 30% markup on all parts and accessories.  Its insane to see that these local places are marking prices up by 174% to 281% now on the parts your Son got.  Its clear why we buy most stuff online, these Local franchises are signing their own out of business death warrant with that type of greed.

donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 06:47:06 AM »

actual parts were the lower end of the percentages. Fluids and cleaners were the highest.....  I shake my head when I drive by the place and se a HUGE banner proclaiming a "sale" like the item is being sold at a good rate.
Not when their banner says $9.99 for a regular standard can of R134a (no fancy sealer or gauge on the can, nothing like that) with a claimed "regular" price of $12.99, when I can go to Farm and Fleet or WalMart or even now Meijer now that they opened and get it "on sale" for $4-something a can  and around $6 when it isn't on sale....

but, this goes to show that they can still make money selling regular name brand more likely to be made in USA or Canada parts instead of the unknown house brand crap that comes from who knows where,  and sell the known name brand stuff most likely at the same retail price of this sh*t that they are pawning on us as "all that they can get"
I found my tie rods and brakes for even less than Rockauto, including delivery to my door but even at the prices Rockauto wanted for my tie rod ends.... $20-some a piece-- they aint losing a penny at that level. WHy does O"Wrongleys feel they need to sell one for DOUBLE that and teh other for TRIPLE that to make a "satisfactory" profit?      OK if you own a garage, that $41 tie rod end from OWrongleys may be able to be bought for $35 and the $63 one for what, maybe $50?

I ain't buying the idea that Rockauto GETS their stuff for that much less than O"Wrongleys does, when they get it from Moog.....  and then consider that there is no licensed, registered, auto repair business that sells their parts to a customer,  at cost.... so the customet is gonna pay $75 and $100+ for the SAME EXACT parts that I paid $5 and $15 for, same brand and everything......     I understand free enterprise and all but there is a point of ridiculous.....
Bionicdodge.Com
Advertisement
Thanks to the following sponsor

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Community  |  Off Topic (Moderators: jusdeez, northwest_5.9)  |  Topic: made in China bites again and again and AGAIN! « previous next »
Jump to: