Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 12, 2019, 04:50:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

99251 Posts in 14256 Topics by 2137 Members
Latest Member: ssteve/t
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  3.9/5.2/5.9 (Moderators: Lynn, 98Dak408)  |  Topic: Gen II Dakota Information 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gen II Dakota Information  (Read 8125 times)
Trav1s
You can call me "Rev"
Bionic Master

Saint and Sinner

« on: March 11, 2012, 08:14:18 AM »

Hey all,

Thought it might be a good thing to start a thread dedicated to Gen II Dakotas.  I have grabbed some postings from another thread I started and added them to this one.

Could someone please sticky this one for me...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 08:28:48 AM by 98Dak408 » Logged

Driver - 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Columbia Edition 4.7 HO
Toys - Two different 1968 Plymouth Sport Furys - both 383/auto in pieces for a while
"Seek or not, God is there" - Carl Jung
Trav1s
You can call me "Rev"
Bionic Master

Saint and Sinner

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 08:15:45 AM »

As far as Dakotas go, 18 years of pro wrenching holds me partial to the 87-96s over anything newer;

97s and up, they must have thought that they had to catch up with the Jonses (GM Ford) with their midsize trucks' front ends not being worth a damn... and better for people like me that made their living fixing them!!!  Everyone's midsize offerings had weak front ends even as compared to that respective brands' fullsize offerings.  and I see more 97+ ones rotted to He11 than the older ones.

If I could go out and buy any truck I wanted tomorrow  if it could not be a full size it would be an 87-96 Dakota.   Full size, it would be a rustfree '64-90 Dodge!!! or a rustfree poptop Ramcharger ('80-older)  The newer crap and me just don't get along.... I like stuff that was durable and built to last!

96s are not much different at all from 92-95s same body, same mechanicals, that is the 1st yr for OBD II and the trannys went to "RE" instead of "RH too as a result but otherwise the same truck  the major changes didnt come til the body style changes in 97.  Nice lookin truck but to me  the 2012s are out so that truck is 16 years old, the price is a lil much... though being at a dealer would explain that; he probably don't "have" more than half that wrapped up in it regardless of what he may claim.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 08:21:21 AM by Boris T » Logged

Toys - Two different 1968 Plymouth Sport Furys - both 383/auto in pieces for a while
Trav1s
You can call me "Rev"
Bionic Master

Saint and Sinner

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 08:20:39 AM »

From Consumerguideauto.com

YEAR TO YEAR CHANGES

1991 Dodge Dakota: A V8 engine become available this year--the only such installation offered in a non-full-size pickup. In addition, the 4-cylinder base engine gained 17 horsepower. All Dakotas got a freshened front end, including a new grille and bumper. Nose sheetmetal was extended about three inches. LE and Sport models gained aero headlamps, while the Sport got a body-color grille and front air dam with fog lamps (plus a chrome roof bar with off-road lights). Club Cab trucks could now have 4-wheel drive.

1992 Dodge Dakota: Both V6 and V8 engines gained a whopping power boost. Horsepower jumped from 125 to 180 on the V6 and 165 to 230 on the V8.

1993 Dodge Dakota: Four-wheel antilock braking became available (a "first" for pickups of any brand). Dakotas got a stainless steel exhaust, seat cushions were recontoured, and 4-cylinder engines lost power.

1994 Dodge Dakota: Safety got the nod this season. Dakota became the first pickup with a driver-side airbag, accompanied by a new padded knee bolster, side door guard beams, and center high-mounted stoplamp.

1995 Dodge Dakota: A shift interlock was added to manual transmissions, and a 2WD Sport Club Cab model joined the 1995 lineup.

1996 Dodge Dakota: A new "Magnum" 4-cylinder base engine went into Dakotas for their final outing in this form. Automatic transmissions gained electronic shift controls.

TROUBLE SPOTS
Consumer Guide's® Auto Editors have scoured repair bulletins and questioned mechanics to search for commonly occurring problems for a particular vehicle. In some cases we also give possible manufacturer-suggested solutions. In many instances these trouble spots are Technical Service Bulletins posted by the manufacturer, however, we have our own expert looking at additional vehicle problems.

Air conditioner: If the air conditioner gradually stops cooling and/or the airflow from the vents decreases, the computer (PCM) may not be sending a signal to the compressor clutch relay to cycle off, which causes the AC evaporator to freeze up. (1991-95)

Automatic transmission: If the transmission will not engage when first started, chances are the torque converter is draining down. Chrysler will correct the problem by installing a check valve. (1993)

Automatic transmission: If the transmission won't upshift in cool weather, it is probably due to defective cast iron seal rings in the governor drive. (1992-94)

Engine fan noise: In warm weather, the fan makes a roaring sound. Dodge will replace the fan, the fan clutch, and, on max cooling systems, the radiator cap. (All)

Exhaust backfire: Exhaust backfire and/or a popping noise in the exhaust may be caused by a defective Powertrain Control Module. (1994-95)

Oil leak: Rear main seals on 2.5- and 4.0-liter engines are prone to leakage. To prevent future failures, Chrysler has a rubber plug available that goes in a hole above the starter that protects the rear main seal. (1996)

Oil leak: Oil leak at the filter on 3.9-, 5.2-, and 5.9-liter engines is likely due to a warped adapter plate. (1995)

Oil pump: Oil pump gear wear results in bucking and surging when the engine is warm and lack of lubrication when the engine is cold. (1992-93)

Rough idle: Because of a problem with the idle air control motor, the engine idles rough, stalls at low speeds or when decelerating, especially in warm weather. (1992-94)

Suspension noise: Front ball joints wear prematurely forcing relacement of lower control arm as well. Replacement joint with grease fitting is now available. (1990-96)

Transaxle leak: Automatic transmission fluid leaks from the speed sensor in the transmission. (1994)

Water leak: The roof seams leak water that seeps down behind the dashboard onto the floor. (1993-95)

Trav1s
You can call me "Rev"
Bionic Master

Saint and Sinner

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 08:31:26 AM »

http://www.dakota-truck.net/infosheet.html

Engine info:
http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/specs/magnum_features.htm
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 08:32:22 AM by Boris T » Logged

Trav1s
You can call me "Rev"
Bionic Master

Saint and Sinner

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 10:59:53 AM »

Done my brother..

Sweet!

98Dak408
Site Donor
Administrator
Bionic Wh0re!

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 11:12:21 AM »

Quote from: Boris T on Today at 12:14:18 PM

Done my brother..

Oh, I thought I did the sticky.  lol.  The first post shows edited by 98Dak408.  Whatever, it got done.  Smile

jusdeez
Global Moderator
Bionic Master

Easily worth 2 in teh bush...

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 12:19:37 PM »

lol..zoinks..

I went into Walmart yesterday and i went into the dressing rooms, sat there, and then yelled \\\"I\\\'M OUT OF TOILET PAPER!\\\"
Trav1s
You can call me "Rev"
Bionic Master

Saint and Sinner

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 01:25:07 PM »

Link to Allpar's write-up

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/dakota-1987.html

Trav1s
You can call me "Rev"
Bionic Master

Saint and Sinner

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 09:14:19 AM »

Any more thoughts on these trucks?  I know the big diff is the 95 to 96 change to OBDII.  It also seems that reliability improved greatly in 1996 when compared to other years.

92-93 Exhaust manifolds are larger and flow better than the later castings.

donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 04:07:03 PM »

any info/tips in a auto to manual swap? I have a 318 and 5 speed from a rolled 94 reg cab shortbed "Dakota Sport"  formerly owned by a friend of my son's til it was rolled; too powerful for the 16 yo girl whose truck it was....  I am currently looking for a Gen1 or gen 2 Clubcab body to drop this  powertrain into.
have wiring computer and all; just missing the pedals and shifter boot/trim piece to complete it. Oh, and the pushrod out of the slave cyl.
Bionicdodge.Com
Advertisement
Thanks to the following sponsor

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  3.9/5.2/5.9 (Moderators: Lynn, 98Dak408)  |  Topic: Gen II Dakota Information « previous next »
Jump to: