Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2019, 10:17:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

99215 Posts in 14249 Topics by 2137 Members
Latest Member: ssteve/t
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  3.9/5.2/5.9 (Moderators: Lynn, 98Dak408)  |  Topic: well finally my Durango runs again.... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: well finally my Durango runs again....  (Read 5714 times)
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2019, 08:04:52 AM »

Well I got the EQ heads back, they magnafluxed them, (I wouldn't have thought that to be necessary being brand new heads) and wound up having to replace 1 valve, some of what he had to say about Mopar heads (even stock original ones) surprised me. He has had them with 30k, clean "old man's " car with egg shaped seats, he said that they can't cast a truly round seat to save their lives. 
With these particular heads he has had them with hundreds of thousands of miles on them and all carboned up or rusty from sitting that he didn't have to beat on as much as he had to pound on the valves in this set of heads to get the valves to come out. He had to dress all of the intake seats for out of round, and ream/ hone all of the guides to gain clearance so that this problem won't repeat itself, he touched up all of the seats to make sure they were still centered in relation to the guides once he had them clearance right, and hand lapped em all in. So hopefully I won't see this again.
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2019, 05:11:50 PM »

Thats a ton of work on a new head!

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This is my Son's truck now.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow.

2012 Ram 5.7 Hemi Outdoorsman, 4x4, LSD, Air Bag Suspension.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2019, 03:51:25 AM »

yeah/ that's what I thought too.... they are mounted now on this CL shortblock that's going in there.... new timing chain on, longblock painted, stock (for now) rocker arms mounted, gonna get a case of oil and dump some in while on the stand, I have a hex shaft to run the oil pump with a drill, gonna hook up my remote gauge and run the oil pump and make sure the oil pressure is alright while its on the stand.....   
The longer this goes on, the more posts (in general) that I see all over online about "being expected to" take brand new heads in to a machine shop for a going over, whether they be Indy or Edelbrock or whoever, before plopping them on and bolting them down....sounds like an expected "normal" that I sure wasn't expecting to hear...  I thought that having a problem free install and not having to worry about any "issues" was a main reason for buying new heads in the 1st place...... new heads are not cheap.   In the future if I gotta go thru them anyway I think I will opt for the "bare" versions...... this has me worried about the heads we bought for the kid's Ramcharger
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2019, 12:12:34 PM »

Glad things are going in the right direction for you.

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This is my Son's truck now.

donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2019, 04:22:21 PM »

getting closer, 2nd replacement engine now in...….. installed as a longblock, gotta install manifolds, front accessories, core support, radiator and condenser then move onto the lift (and out of the pond of ATF) for the underneath stuff.....
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2019, 04:33:18 PM »

getting closer, 2nd replacement engine now in...….. installed as a longblock, gotta install manifolds, front accessories, core support, radiator and condenser then move onto the lift (and out of the pond of ATF) for the underneath stuff.....

I wish I would of done that.  I ended up lifting the engine and trans together by the bolt holes in the front and back of the heads, it worked out great.  I contacted edelbrock about using that and they said it wouldn't be a problem.

donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #51 on: Yesterday at 02:46:29 AM »

That's what I used, a bolt hole on the pass side back head and one on the driver's side front. Couldn't quite get this one to hang right, kept adjusting chain length, which hole in heads that I hooked chain, etc. I did keep the chain short and kinda tight, as I did this one with the hood still on.
Bionicdodge.Com
Advertisement
Thanks to the following sponsor

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  3.9/5.2/5.9 (Moderators: Lynn, 98Dak408)  |  Topic: well finally my Durango runs again.... « previous next »
Jump to: