Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2019, 09:23:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

99231 Posts in 14253 Topics by 2137 Members
Latest Member: ssteve/t
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  3.9/5.2/5.9 (Moderators: Lynn, 98Dak408)  |  Topic: well finally my Durango runs again.... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: well finally my Durango runs again....  (Read 6774 times)
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2019, 08:04:52 AM »

Well I got the EQ heads back, they magnafluxed them, (I wouldn't have thought that to be necessary being brand new heads) and wound up having to replace 1 valve, some of what he had to say about Mopar heads (even stock original ones) surprised me. He has had them with 30k, clean "old man's " car with egg shaped seats, he said that they can't cast a truly round seat to save their lives. 
With these particular heads he has had them with hundreds of thousands of miles on them and all carboned up or rusty from sitting that he didn't have to beat on as much as he had to pound on the valves in this set of heads to get the valves to come out. He had to dress all of the intake seats for out of round, and ream/ hone all of the guides to gain clearance so that this problem won't repeat itself, he touched up all of the seats to make sure they were still centered in relation to the guides once he had them clearance right, and hand lapped em all in. So hopefully I won't see this again.
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2019, 05:11:50 PM »

Thats a ton of work on a new head!

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This is my Son's truck now.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow.

2012 Ram 5.7 Hemi Outdoorsman, 4x4, LSD, Air Bag Suspension.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2019, 03:51:25 AM »

yeah/ that's what I thought too.... they are mounted now on this CL shortblock that's going in there.... new timing chain on, longblock painted, stock (for now) rocker arms mounted, gonna get a case of oil and dump some in while on the stand, I have a hex shaft to run the oil pump with a drill, gonna hook up my remote gauge and run the oil pump and make sure the oil pressure is alright while its on the stand.....   
The longer this goes on, the more posts (in general) that I see all over online about "being expected to" take brand new heads in to a machine shop for a going over, whether they be Indy or Edelbrock or whoever, before plopping them on and bolting them down....sounds like an expected "normal" that I sure wasn't expecting to hear...  I thought that having a problem free install and not having to worry about any "issues" was a main reason for buying new heads in the 1st place...... new heads are not cheap.   In the future if I gotta go thru them anyway I think I will opt for the "bare" versions...... this has me worried about the heads we bought for the kid's Ramcharger
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2019, 12:12:34 PM »

Glad things are going in the right direction for you.

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This is my Son's truck now.

donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2019, 04:22:21 PM »

getting closer, 2nd replacement engine now in...….. installed as a longblock, gotta install manifolds, front accessories, core support, radiator and condenser then move onto the lift (and out of the pond of ATF) for the underneath stuff.....
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2019, 04:33:18 PM »

getting closer, 2nd replacement engine now in...….. installed as a longblock, gotta install manifolds, front accessories, core support, radiator and condenser then move onto the lift (and out of the pond of ATF) for the underneath stuff.....

I wish I would of done that.  I ended up lifting the engine and trans together by the bolt holes in the front and back of the heads, it worked out great.  I contacted edelbrock about using that and they said it wouldn't be a problem.

donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2019, 02:46:29 AM »

That's what I used, a bolt hole on the pass side back head and one on the driver's side front. Couldn't quite get this one to hang right, kept adjusting chain length, which hole in heads that I hooked chain, etc. I did keep the chain short and kinda tight, as I did this one with the hood still on.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2019, 12:10:23 PM »

it IS up and running yet again, but still having issues running pig rich.....  running w/o a cat til I get things ironed out. looks like pile/comedy of errors stacking up.... many beyond my control and unknown to me....  I was SO careful putting this thing together initially, walking on eggshells to avoid same issues but still not out of woods yet buy in too deep $$$ to bail.
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2019, 06:10:43 PM »

Did you replace the upstream o2 sensor?

donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2019, 10:52:21 AM »

More than once
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #55 on: Today at 06:00:06 PM »

OK... maybe some real  progress, finally.... been dibbling and dabbling with this thing---- besides my son getting married last weekend, and then leaving with my wife,  for the last campout of the year the next day, (finally) getting some OT at work and just "being a homeowner"/ plus a side job or 2, have left me with not as much "work on my own stuff" time, lately...
and then, I just had to take a long break from this thing, because of disasters out of my control, at every turn....  many parts  that were replaced "might as well" along with an engine replacement, for (hopefully) "PM" purposes/ and hopes for problem free fresh motor install,  it has been far from that.

I actually found a twin to this truck on CL today, with 1/3 the miles that mine has on it that I considered checking out /but it has something that my Durango doesn't..... rust. so I figured I'd take "1 more look at this one" before I called that seller. my wife likes this truck too much grrrrr.

then, there is the mental block that goes along with "Naaawww, can't be.... that's new and that's new and THAT'S new too.... some things more than once, during this ordeal....  having a hard time (in my head) going back to "ground zero" basics,  in trying to figure this mess out, the "can't be/that's a new part" at every turn, has been a roadblock to figuring this thing out properly... bear with me, my mind is going nuts.... many parts replaced more than once. hope someone is staying along with me on this ordeal. posting here mostly for a record of what I did that I can look back on in the future if it should be necessary....   but input from others is definitely welcomed and expected.  Cmon guys, this forum is definitely NOT "read only". 

added an extra leaf to each side on my 96 Dakota 4wd, needs tires anyways// found a "clearance deal" on a set of new tires real close to same size as is stock on the Durango,  that are cheaper than size that is on the Dakota now, (which are "stock size" for it)  so I robbed the tires/wheels from the Durango, bolted them onto the Dakota, to make sure they'd clear, and not rub.... Durango looks funny with the 235/75R15 on it, from the Dakota....  the 265/70R16s from the Durango fit the other truck just fine, but are flat spotted and just plain LOUD.....  so cant wait for my new tires ordered for the Dakota to get here.... then the 16s go back on the Durango.... want new ones there too, once it's back on the road. the Dakota is my 70 mile a day daily driver at this point. plus trailer puller, camping truck, pretty much everything.  my 99 V6 Dakota just says "help me," when I try to make it do real work..... wife is driving that one, at the moment.

Beating my brain, trying to figure WTF could be my issue on the Durango...just about everything imaginable has been tried, checked, replaced in trying to get this thing back mobile again. 
being everything that has been done, it has to be something that I have already replaced.
 finally spent a couple of hours on it again today.  I am pretty much convinced that my issue has to be either the computer (IDK that I trust the place that worked on both my original one or the junkyard sourced one, at this point)  or the injectors have a problem--- even though they, too, were sent in and rebuilt/flushed/ tested.... at the time I had that done, there were 1 or 2 that they found had a problem, I had another set of (used)  identical injectors here from another engine, I took a few in and they claimed to have gotten me a complete set of equal flowing, clean injectors that ohm out equally too.....  gotta try something at this point.
When I started messing with it today I pulled the dipstick and found the oil over full (it was right at the full mark when engine was dropped in) and it seemed "gassy" so I changed it again... less than 3 hours idle time/25 miles on what was in there..... but oil's relatively cheap, compared to another engine..... as I changed it it came out looking just fine, and unlike that complete rebuilt engine I had in there, NO slurry of bearing material.... so far so good... when hot though, bigger swing in pressure hot vs cold than I like to see... but plenty  of oil pressure even at that..... talking factory oil gauge, and reading thru scanner, its intrepretation of oil pressure voltage to pressure equivalents, this vehicle will be getting aux gauges "T"'d into the engine, along with factory sending units... just gotta figure out a good mounting spot inside. 

I have not yet put the "repaired" original computer back into this thing, since this engine has been in the truck, running on the reprogrammed junkyard sourced computer so far... it had been back twice to the repair facility, upon sending it back to me the 2nd time they admitted finding same issue with it that time as they supposedly "fixed" the 1st time. was all ready to buy another from a different source, but can't get anyone to vouch for this other outfit, either good or bad...

so today, I decided to swap out the injector rail for another rail that I have here, that is loaded with 4.7 shower heads instead of what was "stock" and original from this engine/body combo. and I replaced upstream O2 "again" at same time. I have been told that 4.7 ones are actually "richer" than the stock 360 ones of the same year. I also have a fresh set of reman 4.7 ones here in a can on the shelf in the garage besides, never been run since I recieved them. 

I recently ordered 2 upstream (1 for spare) and 1 downstream O2 "NTK brand, same as OEM" from Rock auto for this thing. so far so good... the O2 that I took out was filthy black and heavy carbon deposits from running so bloody rich.... not saying it was "bad" but it went in the garbage. at least it came out easy. still not running a cat (though I have another waiting here brand new in the box, another Magnaflow/ just like the one that melted, with the new engine)  not going in until I verify everything is as it should be. have a "cheat" in place for the downstream O2 to keep the CEL off in the meantime.

started and ran great in the driveway today,  as it has each time that it had done since the 1st engine went in... watched the parameters as I let it warm up, fuel trims were a bit high, mostly negative, short term not terrible, long term climbing about 2x higher than short term ever got to, weird. Injector pulse width ("on-time") much better than it was in much earlier posts, closer to "expected" than it had been. That was somewhat better with this engine (and the reworked fresh brand new heads) with the original injectors, but still pig rich to a point of burning eyes... I dont remember really paying attention to fuel trim with either the original engine or the rebuilt replacement that I had in there so can't compare that like I can with pulse width.... that one just stuck out so much before, being as far out of range as it had been with that rebuilt engine. IDK if the plugged exhaust may have had something to do with that, at the time?  fuel trims were both negative, as they had been when I 1st got it running on this engine, but as I said I cant remember "how" negative they had been.  definitely better than with original engine and that plugged cat.  Pulse width idling hot,  was 4.1-4.2... way better than the 17.some that it was while I had the 1st engine in, upon plugging the cat.... same set of injectors were on it then, as I just removed from the engine today. Just goes to prove that just because they had been "gone thru" that don't mean a part is good.
I did have a slight vac leak where the PCV hose connects to both the intake and the PCV itself/ besides having collapsed in between... a new hose at that.... and the junction between the brake booster hose and the intake also.... putting hose clamps on those, only slightly helped the fuel trim, O2 switching, and injector pulse width, also sprayed everywhere I could with gumout spray looking for any other vac leaks.....

I took it for a ride with the other fuel rail and the 4.7 injectors in place, actually the 1st test drive since some time while the original engine was still in place, (and quite a while before the "end" of that engine's life) that it ran as good as it did today.  With the other injectors on,  I actually watched the gas gauge fall and "instant MPG" on the overhead console, was in the 4 to 5 MPG range with a best of 6 or so. thatw as cruising at 60 or less MPH, steady.  I know that can't be totally trusted, but it is an indicator. with these injectors in place that was much improved.  so far even with no cat, no more burning eyes and exhaust coming out of tailpipe while idling nowhere near as "hot" on my hand, when I held it near the tail exit. upon coming back from test drive (about 5-6 miles)  pulse width at idle was in the mid to high 3.some millisecond range and both long and short term fuel trim were both closer to zero.

gonna try again tomorrow, may have the wife drive it next time, so I can pay better attn. to scanner while it is on the road.... definitely time to get power washer out and clean the layer of dirt and dust from sitting, off of it.... luckily I live in the country, license plates are 3 years expired, waiting to pay to renew them, til I'm past the issues, and ready to start daily driving it again.... luckily not many cops near home. (different story)   put the right tires back onto it, and see what it does.

magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #56 on: Today at 06:54:40 PM »

A couple friends have used https://www.solopcms.com/blog/dodge-pcm-reflash/ without issues for PCM work. 

Maybe try adding temporary grounds from battery to body to engine and pcm to engine. Or pull and flip the under hood fuse box to check for corrosion.  Have you tried those 4.7 injectors you got from me?  Those were a known good set but they sat a while.

Bionicdodge.Com
Advertisement
Thanks to the following sponsor

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  3.9/5.2/5.9 (Moderators: Lynn, 98Dak408)  |  Topic: well finally my Durango runs again.... « previous next »
Jump to: