Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2019, 08:18:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

99266 Posts in 14259 Topics by 2137 Members
Latest Member: ssteve/t
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  3.9/5.2/5.9 (Moderators: Lynn, 98Dak408)  |  Topic: well finally my Durango runs again.... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: well finally my Durango runs again....  (Read 8961 times)
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2019, 07:32:46 AM »

Wondering if I should tempt fate and try the original (repaired 2x) computer on this thing or whether to use it as a core and get one from a different outfit. I do need to get ahold of a factory Mopar drb scanner to relearn the limits on the HVAC door actuators so that I can get rid of the flashing light on the AC button and so the computer will allow the compressor clutch to engage and I can then charge the AC. My buddy who works at a dealership says that they don't even have a drb any more, they are 2 diagnostic systems past them, but their current system has a "drb simulator mode" that he don't know if will do what I am after. Neither my MT2500 or my SOLUS scanners or the OTC Genisys from work can do it.
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2019, 05:02:36 PM »

Hmm. Took it for another ride in the country last night, definitely much better. Want to be reasonably sure all is good with it before I spend the money on renewing the 3 year past due, expired license plates.
I had similar concerns about collateral damage within the computer as you mentioned. I have seen other ecm's on various cars drilled and the disc that was hole sawed out, siliconed back in, before.
At this point it looks like the root causes of all of my headaches with this thing  we're both the result of parts of the initial job that other people had a hand in.
1. The sticky valves in the brand new heads that I dropped on out of the box, and
2. The injectors that I had rebuilt we're not done right. And I still have a doubtful cloud hanging over this thing with the computer. I left it sit a couple of weeks after the initial run in with the 2nd engine when I saw how pig Rich it was running to look back at all I had done to this thing, and realized that it had to be something that didn't change from the 1st engine to the 2nd one, but there was nothing untouched from the original engine to the 1st replacement, but alot of parts like sensors and such that got moved from the 1st engine to the 2nd one.
Better than sitting nearly 3 years like it did between the original engine swap and the 2nd.
I'm not an electronics guy,  but being as how the problems that wound up making the job go bad the 1st time, wound up being caused by things that I didn't have  a hand in. And people ask me all the time why I refuse to hire out any more than I absolutely have to. I'd rather screw something up myself a couple of times than to be screwed by someone else.

Amen to that!

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This is my Son's truck now.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow.

2012 Ram 5.7 Hemi Outdoorsman, 4x4, LSD, Air Bag Suspension.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2019, 03:17:48 AM »

Ordered some other stuff for this thing over the last couple of days
Energy suspension urethane front end bushings (already did the sway bar bushings and rack mount bushings in urethane a few weeks ago) a pillar pod since there ain't any other good places for a remote oil gauge or trans temp gauge) which are also coming, USA made auto meter mechanical versions... And back shocks from rock auto, Going back to Gabriel ultra like I had on it before. and debating on  ordering a set of HD rear leaf springs  to level it up, need about 1-1/2-2",  can't lower the torsion bars to level, or tires will rub, and I have the stock size on it, on the original wheels
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2019, 05:05:42 PM »

I've had zero complaints while using Energy Suspension Parts.

Hows the truck running?

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This is my Son's truck now.

donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2019, 12:40:01 PM »

haven't taken it out since the weekend, kinda waiting for my new tires to get here (15") for the Dakota 4wd, as I "borrowed" the Durango's tires to test the size for fitment on the Dakota... and since I wasn't driving the Durango  I have left them on there for ~ a month.  Durango has 16" wheels, got same size coming for Dakota (1st 2 numbers in size-- 265/70) but in a 15" that will fit the Dakota's wheels/  which look silly on the Durango.....

Farm and fleet had a set on "clearance,"  "old" version of a current tire they sell.... have 3 sets that size all at different stores than the local one. Don't want to keep playing "musical tires" between the 2 trucks, cheaper than the stock 235/75s that were on it.....   also keep forgetting to grab a check for the DMV to get the plates renewed....  have the 96 and 99 Dakotas, so the wife isn't "out" of wheels, anyways, so don't have to be in a hurry.  plan to get those plates for it either tomorrow or Sat so I can take it out and drive it more w/o worry about that.....
want to take it and fill it up on gas....

I still have those 1.7 rocker arms and a brand new set of stainless shorty headers, that I have had for this thing for a while now... been wanting to make sure all is good now "stock," before I make changes to keep from adding confusion to the problems I have had. Im still debating getting a computer from someone else, for reasons I have talked about a few posts ago. working so far, but feel like I am on eggshells with the current one.

donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2019, 12:53:24 PM »

well new plates are on, has insurance, filled up the gas tank for the 1st time in 3 years, (had put a 5 gallon canful in, a couple of times in that 3 years) they actually have a couple of places not real far away to get non ethanol gas again...….   

also new rear leafs in, 4 new shocks, ALL new suspension bushings (except for rear sway bar bushings and links)  in and done, had to put a new battery in/ as the one I saved from my 92 Dakota wasn't as good as I remember it being, its sitting at an alignment shop now....  1st time its been away from home this long, and 1st time in 3 or 4 years it has had snow on it....alignment guy might have a few days as he is booked appointment wise til after Turkey day.... said if I left it, he could "squeeze it in" within a couple days.... if he gets a no show, etc, but with what I hear about this guy, and my experience with other local shops with an alignment rack, sounds like it's worth letting him have it a few days.
drove it again last nite to go get gas and try out the new suspension goodies,  plus let the new springs and the torsion bars settle so I could verify my measurements on torsion bar adjustment.... was pulling left but I had left side sitting 1/2" lower than right/ adjusted that left side height to match the right and pull went away..... but I know that the alignment isn't right because I had all the adjustment points apart yesterday with the bushing job....  had to burn out the lowers with a bottle torch, didn't look bad but definitely drives better with the new ones in.... upper bushings looked worse, dry rotted but also still mostly intact looking.. not  metal on metal, like the ones were earlier this year in both of my Dakotas before I replaced them

but again, drives noticeably better/ even with alignment all screwed up than before... no more feeling like the azz end is gonna come out from under, no more "wallowing".... been like that since I towed a Wrangler to southern IL and towed back a Bronco II for a neighbor about 4 years ago..... no more rear end sag..... does ride stiffer now, hope some of that goes away as the new springs and front end parts settle in.....

have been scouting CL "all over the place" and too many idiots wanting more $$ for rotted out junk than I paid for this one back in 2013..... some with even more miles on them than mine.... strange, I see newer versions (different body style Durangos, many with the Hemi) for lower asking price than the remaining ones like my 01.....  seems like more newer ones with engine issues being listed than ones like mine too.... especially 4.7 powered rigs.  Ill keep my 360, thanks.
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2019, 05:42:49 PM »

Im glad you got it going congrats!

they actually have a couple of places not real far away to get non ethanol gas again...…. 

Where???

donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2019, 08:34:28 AM »

Casey's in Herscher would be closest that I know of to you. The one in crescent City also has it, which is right on my way to work.
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2019, 04:28:48 PM »

Casey's in Herscher would be closest that I know of to you. The one in crescent City also has it, which is right on my way to work.

The Caseys in Braceville use to do it but they only have 87 Octane.

donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2019, 03:22:16 PM »

Well, $#!t..... I guess I'm gonna have to put a cat on this thing after all.... CEL came on last time out, SOB, PO420 (cat efficiency) well, yeah, duh, its got a pipe on it in place of the cat
It "only" took about 180 miles after this most recent engine went in, for that to show its ugly head.....

I was hoping to not have to....

I did run my 97 Wrangler with a pipe in it, for probably 15X that length of time before I put a new cat into that one..... and no CEL for "cat efficiency" during that time.
originally, before all the headache started on this Durango, when it still had its original cat on it, I was getting that code, before any of the misfire codes, etc.... back then it was still running awesome, hadn't yet had any issues with it...…
but I know that a cat can still be 95% "good" and will throw that code, on some vehicles..... 
I really wasn't wanting to put one on here, after the 1st brand new one I had put on there, melted and self destructed  with less than 6 miles on the odo after it was installed along with the 1st engine that I had put into this thing...  got another "HM" series Magnaflow..... just like the one that self destructed.   was debating whether I should get something different, when I bought the 2nd one.
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2019, 05:38:49 PM »

Your probably good with that cat.  I run magnaflows on my truck.

donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2019, 02:57:07 PM »

I thought that with the 1st cat that I put on there, same brand and PN as this one.   well I drove it to work today and so far so good, farthest it has gone since this 2nd engine was put in, heads redone, different injector rail put on.... have a little over 200 miles on it with this 2nd engine in there.... lots better than 6, like the 1st one had (actually more like 4 miles, because it died on me and the last 2 of those miles had been put on,  on the back end of a tow strap)  
 the original injector rail from the truck, with that set of injectors went out with the trash today.... having those redone was a waste of more than the $150 or so I spent having them redone....  the 1st new cat, the 1st short block that those injectors killed, and more. Id have sent them back for a redo and retest but I'd have to pay again.. Ive spent plenty on that set of injectors already, Id say.....
took it by the dealer down there to try and relearn the HVAC door max open/close positions..... has to be done with a factory DRB scanner..... nothing else.  Sr tech came out to the parking lot with scanner in hand, didn't have to write ticket on it.....
Bionicdodge.Com
Advertisement
Thanks to the following sponsor

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  3.9/5.2/5.9 (Moderators: Lynn, 98Dak408)  |  Topic: well finally my Durango runs again.... « previous next »
Jump to: