Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2019, 11:02:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

99121 Posts in 14236 Topics by 2136 Members
Latest Member: swepty63
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Everything Else Technical (Moderator: northwest_5.9)  |  Topic: Ford tune ups 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ford tune ups  (Read 703 times)
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« on: January 15, 2017, 07:13:15 PM »

if someone comes and asks you "hey buddy can you tune up my truck"? and it is a ~96-98 Ford with a 5.4, and hasn't been done in the last 60k miles or so.... don't walk, RUN away..... I have had to do several of these at work and my latest might wind up needing the heads pulled, they have a 2 piece plug and the porcelain breaks, and the lower metal shell stays in the head..... even with "the tool" they are a major PITA.... and then when "the tool" doesn't work, (strips and pulls the threads that the tool itself creates)  youre in deep doo doo.....
more reason to stay with Dodge or Jeep  for my own vehicles!
Richie
Global Moderator
Bionic Master

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 03:30:17 PM »

I've always found Ford's run best behind a tow truck ha ha sorry couldn't help myself.

Big a** supercharged 4.7L HO, cammed, Custom made Supercharger COG drive system, 72mm F&B throttle body, ROSS ceramic coated pistons, Billet H beam rods, 1st set of race prepped big valves heads W/ behive springs, Custom one off sheet metal intake, Modified Edelbrock Mustang intake elbow, ATI super dampner, 3,000 Edge racing billet stall converter, meth injected, SCT tuned, 60# injectors, Aeromotive Eliminator fuel pump, Aeromotive -12 Fuel Filter, Boost reference FPR, Custom fuel cell, Braided stainless line and AN fittings, Aeromotive Billet fuel controller,  2 bar map, Turbo Smart Race Port BOV, 180d* T stat, True dual exhuast, Built tranny W/ deep trans pan, built transfer case, 275 60 R17 rubber.
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 07:09:43 PM »

I thought the 96-98 ford 5.4L motors only had 4 threads on the head for the spark plug.  Most of those motors have shot the sparkplugs out of them while running and then repaired with HELICOILS by the dealer under warranty.  Honestly I have been in a 96-98 ford 5.4 twice when this happened, once in a f350 work truck and once in my buds f150.  HELICOIL has a special kit designed for these fords.  I bet the ones your working on have already been HELICOIL'ED and over torqued, I believe that was in the TSB from ford.

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This thing is a turd.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow. Seems like the more I beat on it the faster it goes.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 05:31:04 PM »

well bringing back an old thread, fighting another. 06 F150. 5.4. Only took me 6-1/2 hours to extract 6 busted plugs from an engine at work today. Have to tackle the other 2 tomorrow...  major POS.... sure does a lot to make me NOT want one.....   SOB I hate Fords.  Why couldn't they stay with engines that worked for them.... 302.... 351.... 460..... 300 inline 6....
they sure don't know the KISS principle...…..  I can do ALL 8 on either of my 318 Dakotas in like a 1/2 an hour....   
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 05:53:23 PM »

I hate tune ups on the 4.6/5.4.  Every plug feels like a seized lugnut.  I always tighten them then back them off a tad and let them soak for hours before backing them out all the way.  I see the reason the Dealerships bill those jobs for 7.5 hours.

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This thing is a turd.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow. Seems like the more I beat on it the faster it goes.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 03:27:44 PM »

well I'm at 11 hours on this one.... got 1 plug out today, still fighting that last one, the shell is still in the head..... made a longer pusher plunger, to push the remaining porcelain 1/4" deeper as I kept pulling threads... would have to use the pusher tool, try it, push some more, (even though I bottomed the thing out and tightened the outer shell of the porcelain pusher tool on a couple of cylinders til I thought the threads would come out of the head,  with it...) yet each time I was able to get it in a little deeper than the last time, some cyls I had to put the pusher in 3x to get the porcelain down as far as the pusher would move it....   I have 2 different (competing brands) of the remover tools, one threads righty into the shell, the other threads lefty. my biggest problem at the moment is that I am working on the farthest back cylinder on the driver side... under the damn cowl. Who's brilliant idea was it to bury half of the engine under the cowl?  I can't see down the spark plug well...…. even with a mirror.
I put the 7 coils back onto the plugs that I was able to get out and replaced, unplugged the injector on that remaining cylinder and started the engine on 7 holes to warm up the head, hoping that might help, that it might shoot out the remnant, by virtue of compression and heat..... but with no combustion on that hole, it doesn't get as warm as the rest of the engine. It is soaking in penetrant (what the shop buys, which is a product by a company called "1st Ayd")  for the weekend.  If pushing that porcelain down 2x as far into the shell (but not far enough to push it into the cylinder) so that I can cut new fresh threads further down within the shell allowing me to yank it, I'm afraid the head may have to come off...… I am SO not looking forward to that...… I have never had the head off of one of these POS' and don't want to. Took me 5-1/2 hours to do 6 plugs, I have another 5 hours tied up in the last plug and 1/2.....  If you know someone that has one of these, if you can't convince them to dump it for something else, PLEASE tell them if it's been more than 3 years since they have been done, REGARDLESS OF MILEAGE to pull the plugs on it and replace them like NOW...…   

On that last Ford side job I had (started as replace the trans, turned into a major cluster, I mentioned it on here before) I bought plugs for it.... that truck has only 68K original miles but when the 1st one didn't want to budge, I said "screw it".... we'll fight that battle another day.

that being said I have another Ford in the garage right now..... this one's an 08 Fusion..... another one that came over for 2 issues, I found at least 4 or 5 more that couldn't be let go..... none (yet) as major as that 04 F150, that "just" came to me for the tranny..... 

Bionicdodge.Com
Advertisement
Thanks to the following sponsor

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Everything Else Technical (Moderator: northwest_5.9)  |  Topic: Ford tune ups « previous next »
Jump to: