Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 07:29:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search

94844 Posts in 11594 Topics by 2099 Members
Latest Member: HOGGHEAVEN96
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com | Bionic Tech | Shop Equipment, Tools, and Tips (Moderators: donram360, adamsredlines) | Topic: snap on scanner revisited 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: snap on scanner revisited (Read 242 times)
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

on: May 10, 2017, 04:39:04 PM

Havent seen a thread on a snap on scanner in a while I have a 2500 "red brick" that I paid a king's ransom for back in like 2003 "right off the Snap on truck",  and I have never updated it.... and at that I can only update it as far as 08 at the newest. Mine is good up to and including '01 models. been looking at the rewriteable cartridges but again, I can only get within 10 years of todays current models.
The snap on guy had a rep with him representing the newest "bells and whistles" in scanners. I don't need one bad enough to spend $3500 like I did back then..... so today when he was there I said something about a scanner....
Well he has a good/used one on the truck,  the original Solus model, not the "edge" or "pro" or the newest "ultimate"
 that is current til and including '14, and he says there is one more update available for this model but that will probably be "it" for this one....
Anyone own a Solus scanner? Quirks? Good? Bad?   I can tell a difference between it and the old Brick as well as our shop owned OTC Genisys taht is also current to '14.  Though the salesman said the newest one is "faster" than this used one, I cannot get over how much faster data pops up compared to the shop OTC one even though this unit came out onto the market in 2005....
For what he is asking you can't hardly buy a "better quality generic "code reader"....

Thoughts on this model, anyone? not something I need constantly  but I have enough of a need for one that I need to upgrade, and it will cost me as much to upgrade the old Brick and still would be 6 years behind this one.....
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 06:34:19 PM

I don't know if this is a good or legit deal or not.  Says MT2500 cartridge will do up to 2016 with CAN-BUS Adapter. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Snap-On-MT2500-MTG2500-Scanner-Global-OBDII-EOBD-CAN-Cartridge-/391677137324?hash=item5b31c6d1ac:g:PrwAAOSw3ydVmvRx

I dont know much about the Solus but if its anything like the Modis our fleet mechanics love it after they got use to it.

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This thing is a turd.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow. Seems like the more I beat on it the faster it goes.
Richie
Global Moderator
Bionic Master

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 04:40:03 AM

I bought a new Solus Edge last year.  I really like it although I haven't used it as much as I told myself I would.  I don't see any real issues with it yet,  it can do much more than I know how to do with it.

Big a** supercharged 4.7L HO, cammed, Custom made Supercharger COG drive system, 72mm F&B throttle body, ROSS ceramic coated pistons, Billet H beam rods, 1st set of race prepped big valves heads W/ behive springs, Custom one off sheet metal intake, Modified Edelbrock Mustang intake elbow, ATI super dampner, 3,000 Edge racing billet stall converter, meth injected, SCT tuned, 60# injectors, Aeromotive Eliminator fuel pump, Aeromotive -12 Fuel Filter, Boost reference FPR, Custom fuel cell, Braided stainless line and AN fittings, Aeromotive Billet fuel controller,  2 bar map, Turbo Smart Race Port BOV, 180d* T stat, True dual exhuast, Built tranny W/ deep trans pan, built transfer case, 275 60 R17 rubber.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 10:50:54 AM

what is teh difference between the original Solus and the Edge version? 

the Modis is supposed to have a built in lab scope where the Solus doesn't but reading the book on it, it appears to be able to graph  the parameters... isn't this basically what you'd see with a scope?
and  that Ebay cartridge only does to 2016 in generic mode.... not manufacturer specific mode.
it says you need anonet cable also which isnt included.... the 2500 can only be upgraded to 2008 or 9.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 07:28:28 AM

Well I got it, the new snap on dealer took my offer surprisingly, my son is 24, the snap on guy looks younger than that... Kids these days don't seem to know how to deal, besides"by the manual"...
Made him a cash offer, rather than just to put it on my"truck account".  It's supposed to do everything my old brick did besides the newer cars,.  It's updated to 2014. Even though it is the"original" version of the solus it should last me a while I hope before it too becomes outdated considering what I typically work on.
Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07:32:32 AM by donram360 Logged
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 05:57:57 PM

Well I got it, the new snap on dealer took my offer surprisingly, my son is 24, the snap on guy looks younger than that... Kids these days don't seem to know how to deal, besides"by the manual"...
Made him a cash offer, rather than just to put it on my"truck account".  It's supposed to do everything my old brick did besides the newer cars,.  It's updated to 2014. Even though it is the"original" version of the solus it should last me a while I hope before it too becomes outdated considering what I typically work on.

Congrats, glad you got it.

Let me know how it works out for you.

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This thing is a turd.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow. Seems like the more I beat on it the faster it goes.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print
Bionicdodge.Com | Bionic Tech | Shop Equipment, Tools, and Tips (Moderators: donram360, adamsredlines) | Topic: snap on scanner revisited « previous next »
Jump to: