Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 12:07:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

94913 Posts in 11609 Topics by 2104 Members
Latest Member: sarathesmith2
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Transmission & Drivetrain (Moderators: Salarguy, donram360)  |  Topic: Dana 60 rebuild 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dana 60 rebuild  (Read 48 times)
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« on: November 23, 2017, 01:23:35 PM »

Working on my son's truck (not the diesel) 90 W250 3/4 ton 4wd, 360 gas. Has had a vibration and (he says) howl I drove it and felt the vibration but not the howl.  He has been thinking that the rear end has been going out for a while now, i drove it and for the life of me it acts like a U joint that is grooved out
I told him that I didn't think that it was the rear end,
He didn't believe me and took it to a shop, they drove it and convinced him that he needs pinion bearings. No way.
But he persisted and bought a rebuild kit, so I pulled it apart and the original bearings looked brand new.  He finally believed me once he saw them. 
I had to borrow a housing spreader to get the carrier back in, they gave me the wrong one so I am at a standstill til I get the right one.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 01:25:01 PM »

All that work for nothing..... And the garage is tied up til I can get the other housing spreader from the dealer tomorrow...
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 05:20:52 PM »

If you wanted to make a housing spreader I can get you the long nuts/bolts for free.

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This thing is a turd.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow. Seems like the more I beat on it the faster it goes.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 07:17:31 PM »

I have done a handful of rear end rebuilds, only ever need this tool for the Danas, of which this is my 2nd ever in all the time I have been wrenching.... not often enough to worry about having my own... yet anyways.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 04:00:33 PM »

ok its back together, took longer to go swap out for the larger version of that tool than to pop it in.... being we were doing all this just to replace the bearings with the original ring and pinion, I just measured the shims that came out and put fresh ones in that totaled up to the same thickness. Pinion bearing preload is definitely tighter than with the old bearings, that I did play with to get it tuned in right, left it at the high end of the tolerance range as it will only loosen with age and miles...
backlash we measured and it was a little higher than the spec'd range but we are dealing with used gears, and I didn't want to go tightening things up too much, or it would be meshing at a different point than where they are worn to, Id be afraid that might make them noisey.... and the Dana specifies a tighter tolerance than other rear ends that I have worked on anyway...   I checked the pattern, and it was dead nuts perfect so I sure don't want to change that this truck has at least 200k on it, original rear end that until now had never been touched besides pulling the cover to change lube a time or 3....  odometer gears broke at 152k, it has read the same mileage for the 6 years he has owned the truck.... speedo works, odo doesn't... since it is a 1990 rust bucket does actual total miles really matter anyways any more?  I'd hate to think how many miles are really on this rig...
Bionicdodge.Com
Advertisement
Thanks to the following sponsor

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Transmission & Drivetrain (Moderators: Salarguy, donram360)  |  Topic: Dana 60 rebuild « previous next »
Jump to: