Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2018, 07:31:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

95066 Posts in 11638 Topics by 2113 Members
Latest Member: Jgreen13
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Shop Equipment, Tools, and Tips (Moderators: donram360, adamsredlines)  |  Topic: Kwik Way SV Valve Facer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kwik Way SV Valve Facer  (Read 161 times)
98Dak408
Site Donor
Administrator
Bionic Wh0re!

« on: March 29, 2018, 04:48:48 AM »

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a well used Kwik Way SV Valve Facer off Craig's List for $250.  The ad said or best offer but when I tried any amount less than $250 the seller went into these long explanations to justify the price and wouldn't budge.  (Well then, just say $250 FIRM.  LOL)  The guy bought an old repair shop in Detroit for another business but had to buy the contents too.  The machine was filthy and the wiring was dry rotted...  So I set about taking it apart for a thorough cleaning and refurbishing.  I've replaced the wiring, belts, chuck balls, etc.

I don't have a pic yet but I was reading an article about Westech Automotive in Illinois and noticed they are using the same 1960's machine although theirs is not so scraped up.
http://www.westechauto.com/mspt2/pages/kwik_way_jpg.htm

98Dak408
Site Donor
Administrator
Bionic Wh0re!

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 11:21:16 AM »

Disassembled, cleaned, and inspected.  Replaced all wiring except for the motor windings.  Runs as it should.

Then I found 2 of the Kwik Way VS models which came some time after the SV model on Craig’s List for a decent price. They are pretty mucked up from a lack of cleaning for decades it appears. 

I plan on selling the SV am going to rebuild both of the VS models.  One has the quick change chuck and the other one came with the precision Lacy Williams ER32 chuck. 

The ER32 collet has very little run-out and is preferred for racing valves.

I found a couple of Lyon rolling cabinets at about 25% of the cost and made an 1/8” steel plate for the top of each to help support the weight.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 11:43:59 AM by 98Dak408 » Logged

donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 05:13:42 PM »

I recently had to grind some valves for a garden tractor, (2 cyl Kohler horizontal opposed)  and found that a couple of my buddies that used to have valve grinders no longer do,  that I have used before...   and one guy that I was afraid to ask, because his daughter and soon to be ex son in law are no longer my neighbors, whose machine I used last time, said that not only does he still have the one I last used but asked me if I wanted one of my own... caught me off guard.
His Dad also had one (didn't know that) and since his Dad recently died, this guy finds himself with 2.  IDK where I am gonna put it, if I get it. my garages are beyond full at the moment.  I asked how much, and he said "I'll need your help on a job someday"....   I haven't yet taken him up on that offer. I will if I can clean up my space and make room.
98Dak408
Site Donor
Administrator
Bionic Wh0re!

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 01:58:15 AM »

You can always sell it again once it serves your purpose.  These older Kwik Way facers weigh about 210 lbs.  The thing you have to check is the run-out of the chuck primarily.  The balls can go bad and be replaced.  However, if the grooves in the chuck that contains the balls are worn there is not much to be done about that.  The Red SV unit has .0007 run-out as it sits which is good for many valve jobs.  One of the newer VS facer's I bought has the ER32 chuck which supposedly can hold .0002 run-out and is guaranteed to .0005 run-out. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 02:12:28 PM by 98Dak408 » Logged

Bionicdodge.Com
Advertisement
Thanks to the following sponsor

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Shop Equipment, Tools, and Tips (Moderators: donram360, adamsredlines)  |  Topic: Kwik Way SV Valve Facer « previous next »
Jump to: