Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2018, 07:15:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

96952 Posts in 12726 Topics by 2130 Members
Latest Member: dodgedartgt
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Shop Equipment, Tools, and Tips (Moderators: donram360, adamsredlines)  |  Topic: Mini ductor magnetic heater anyone else have or use one? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mini ductor magnetic heater anyone else have or use one?  (Read 129 times)
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« on: November 05, 2018, 03:39:27 AM »

These are supposed to be able to heat up a bolt or stud within seconds with out having to use a torch, safer in tight confines. I have a co worker with one and though we borrow tools back and forth all the time that is one thing that I cannot get him to bring in from home. So I gotta ask about impressions and good/bad observations here. Though from what the snap on guy says plus lots of reading online, the things I could have used one for my co worker always says"it won't work for that"
I did an exhaust manifold on a damn expedition last week at work that I wound up breaking off 2 starter bolts to begin the job that it would have been perfect for I think. And my Wrangler needs it's tailgate changed, cannot get the bolts free for anything. Any thoughts on one of these tools before I drop nearly$500 on one? Good? Bad?
B1llyw
Site Founder
Bionic Wh0re!

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 05:56:15 AM »

If you buy one, can it be returned if it does not work?  Sorry if that's a dumb question!  Smile

Bill White - 2017 Ram 1500, 2017 Jeep Compass (new body style), 2017 Challenger SXT Super Trak Pak
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 10:19:15 AM »

They do have a 2 yr warranty.
It sounds like I might be able to "borrow" it for a week from the snap on guy. He did that when I bought my most recent scanner,  though that was a used trade in.this won't be.
I'm wondering how long the heater coils that these use, last.
It works on inductance, I'm sure that our site owner will get that concept, being an electrician.
B1llyw
Site Founder
Bionic Wh0re!

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 01:39:57 PM »

It is very interesting tech.

http://www.theinductor.com/induction-heating-products/mini-ductor/models/md-700-110v

Bill White - 2017 Ram 1500, 2017 Jeep Compass (new body style), 2017 Challenger SXT Super Trak Pak
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 02:36:01 PM »

I have worked with larger versions when I worked industrial maintenance, a bench mounted device that we used to heat bearings with (our application) 8" inside diameter, and used a thermo melt crayon that melted at different temps that we'd touch to the bearing while on the induction heater and as soon as it was hot enough to just start to melt the crayon, we'd grab some heavy gloves and take it off of the heater (basically a solid square metal bar thru the middle) and hurry up and slide it into place on the shaft. If you don't get it started straight and square or hesitate in sliding it into place you'd be screwed, cut it off and grab another. They had an interference fit on the shaft.
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 05:29:17 PM »

It would be easier and cheaper to "accidentally" set the Expedition on fire, those things were all built with grade 5 bolts.  I had one, when I replaced the manifolds I snapped off 1 manifold bolt on the left and 2 on the right.  I used Lisle Extractors to get the rest out as the heads of all bolts didn't resemble a bolt.  I ended up welding nuts to the studs and got them out that way.  That is the #1 worst vehicle I ever owned!

This seems like a cool tool, I'd like to have one but it wouldn't of worked well on my Expedition.  The heads of the bolts were nearly round from rust and 1/3rd the size they should of been.  So you'd heat it up with this tool above, then have to hammer on an extractor that may not stick because the metal is soft.  It would of been a crap shoot in my situation.

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This thing is a turd.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow. Seems like the more I beat on it the faster it goes.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 06:18:44 PM »

yeah well this particular Expedition happens to belong to the IL state cops.... only 4 years old and 80K miles.... shouldn't be having these issues yet to begin with...
that Expedition you had was older, those had a lot more room to access the manifolds than this POS did,  yours didn't have the strut suspension in it, right?  The frame wraps up higher than the exh manifolds.   luckily the only broken stud was the one I found the stub of in the skidplate before I laid a wrench on anything, the rest came right out. Its the 2 of 3 starter bolts that busted that pissed me off the most with this thing.  the studs that were still there hadn't withered away to nothingness yet like most do.
but that job is done now, have other situations  come up where I find myself wishing I had a similar tool *IF* it does as advertised.
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 05:03:41 PM »

yeah well this particular Expedition happens to belong to the IL state cops.... only 4 years old and 80K miles.... shouldn't be having these issues yet to begin with...
that Expedition you had was older, those had a lot more room to access the manifolds than this POS did,  yours didn't have the strut suspension in it, right?  The frame wraps up higher than the exh manifolds.   luckily the only broken stud was the one I found the stub of in the skidplate before I laid a wrench on anything, the rest came right out. Its the 2 of 3 starter bolts that busted that pissed me off the most with this thing.  the studs that were still there hadn't withered away to nothingness yet like most do.
but that job is done now, have other situations  come up where I find myself wishing I had a similar tool *IF* it does as advertised.

Mine was 8 years old with 85,000miles, it didn't have struts but it was still a tight fit. I replaced the manifolds with shorty headers, I had to remove the steering on the left side. 

Here's some info for you that happened at my work;
At my work they realized they had too many mechanics that were always busy and backed up with work.  The mechanics kept complaining about the chevy 2500/3500hd's and the ford f450 v10's breaking down all the time.  As some of the Mechanics Union representative, I told the Mechanics to shut up and fix the damn truck and quit going to the boss complaining.  They kept complaining and the company finally did a study on what vehicles were costing the company too much money to maintain.  As a result the company auctioned off every chevy 2500/3500hd and if a ford f450 v10 needs new exhaust manifold or gasket replacement "whole motor needs to come out" they auction that off as well, even if it has 20,000 miles on it.  This caused a layoff of 63 Fleet Mechanics out 110.

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This thing is a turd.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow. Seems like the more I beat on it the faster it goes.
B1llyw
Site Founder
Bionic Wh0re!

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 02:47:46 AM »

Wow...

donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 03:24:43 PM »

Mine was 8 years old with 85,000miles, it didn't have struts but it was still a tight fit. I replaced the manifolds with shorty headers, I had to remove the steering on the left side. 

Here's some info for you that happened at my work;
At my work they realized they had too many mechanics that were always busy and backed up with work.  The mechanics kept complaining about the chevy 2500/3500hd's and the ford f450 v10's breaking down all the time.  As some of the Mechanics Union representative, I told the Mechanics to shut up and fix the damn truck and quit going to the boss complaining.  They kept complaining and the company finally did a study on what vehicles were costing the company too much money to maintain.  As a result the company auctioned off every chevy 2500/3500hd and if a ford f450 v10 needs new exhaust manifold or gasket replacement "whole motor needs to come out" they auction that off as well, even if it has 20,000 miles on it.  This caused a layoff of 63 Fleet Mechanics out 110.
huh interesting. Get rid of the trucks and the mechanics. Not good. Hopefully the dumb asses don't go import
Bionicdodge.Com
Advertisement
Thanks to the following sponsor

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Shop Equipment, Tools, and Tips (Moderators: donram360, adamsredlines)  |  Topic: Mini ductor magnetic heater anyone else have or use one? « previous next »
Jump to: