Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2019, 11:43:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

99145 Posts in 14243 Topics by 2136 Members
Latest Member: swepty63
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  All Things Off Road - Tires, Suspension & More (Moderators: donram360, adamsredlines)  |  Topic: who knows what about leaf spring tech? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: who knows what about leaf spring tech?  (Read 358 times)
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« on: April 04, 2019, 01:28:23 PM »

I have replaced leaf springs with new before, taken leafs off and into a spring shop for rebuild/ add a leaf,  have bought add a leaves and put them in myself before.

time to visit this idea again.  on both Dakotas. a 92 2wd and a 96 4wd. both 318 club cabs. 
need to raise the a$$ end of the 4X4 about 2" to level it, and add capacity at the same time.
the 92 has an OK stance, if any I'd go up like an inch, but would like to add capacity.
usually when the spring shop adds a leaf, they add a long one just shy of the spring eyes in length. I had 2 ex squad Diplomats, the 89 came to me with broken leafs, at the spring eyes.  the spring shop added new main leaves and cut the original mains "just" enough to cut the remnants of the old spring eyes off, the new main leafs were only 2" overall shorter than the start of the spring eyes on the new main leafs.

when I did the add a leaf on the 94 reg cab/short bed Dakota that I used to have, it raised the rear more than I expected. it was a short one, longer than the shortest by a bit, put it between there and the 2nd shortest leaf on that truck. when I did the add a leaf on that truck, the Ebay application guide claimed it "wouldn't fit" a Dakota, I forget the application but as long as width is the same it'll fit.

I have heard of alot of guys (mostly online) doing a "bastard pack" which is adding a leaf or 2 from another vehicle (usually used/junkyard sourced) to each side, in combo with the original spring pack.
None of mine are busted so this is what I have in mind. 
I have 2 sets of tired leaf springs from my son's 90 W250, 3/4 ton 4WD that I can scavenge, and 1 brand new one for the same truck (he had 2 but lost one out the back of the truck somewhere between my house and his/ seemed to have vaporized into thin air, we searched for it and couldn't find, so he bought another new pair of them.... they are the same 2-1/2" width, as what my trucks have.

so all that said, which would be better?  Long add a leaf or short?  and why?   I see most on EPay say their add a leaves are "short" versions. about 20-21" in length.
 I found a seller that advertises a "long version" and a "short" version add a leaf. their "short" is 24" and their "long" is 36".

which is better for smooth ride, which is harsher ride? Which adds more/ less lift?  more/less extra load capacity?  I know, keep both sides the same. Depending on how long I decide to add, I may get both add a leaves from 1 of those spring packs that I have available to me..... I do have a good shop saw to cut them down.....

I also have a set of new takeoffs from a 97-04 Dakota/Durango, I think the main difference other than each leaf being thicker (but less leaves) is metric eye bolt holes, where mine are designed for SAE/fractional hardware. thought of putting those on my Durango. but there are less leaves in that set than the springs currently in service.
 Out of 3 leaf spring a**'ys to choose from I want to add a leaf to my 78 Sport Fury along the way too. I had the originals rearched the 2nd year I had the car, took them off and droped them off at the spring shop, that rearch lasted me the rest of that season, and that's it/ so I would like to beef those up too while I am at it..... just have to get me some longer center bolts. not a big deal.
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 05:22:42 PM »

I like the idea of the "Bastard pack". You can do pretty much whatever you want for little cost.

Many of the add a leaf systems I've seen lately add way more lift than people want while also making the ride way worse.

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This thing is a turd.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow. Seems like the more I beat on it the faster it goes.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 08:52:50 AM »

Well here goes, got my new ubolts, center bolts, inter spring pads, and spring clips today, next chance I get the 96 4x4 will be done 1st. Wish that I could have found it all online, had to take time off of work to cat the local spring shop open
Bionicdodge.Com
Advertisement
Thanks to the following sponsor

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  All Things Off Road - Tires, Suspension & More (Moderators: donram360, adamsredlines)  |  Topic: who knows what about leaf spring tech? « previous next »
Jump to: