Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2019, 08:04:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

99214 Posts in 14249 Topics by 2137 Members
Latest Member: ssteve/t
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Community  |  Off Topic (Moderators: jusdeez, northwest_5.9)  |  Topic: C'mon guys where are you 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: C'mon guys where are you  (Read 572 times)
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« on: April 20, 2019, 08:10:00 AM »

As title says. What's everyone doing these days?
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 06:46:36 PM »

I've been busy as hell.  Nobody would Coach my daughters softball team because everyone wanted me to do it anyway.  So I finally agreed since the league was gonna issue refund checks to the parents/players if I didn't do it. I was nominated then voted in to the 4 city baseball/softball league as a Board Trustee.  Basically I get off work 4pm-4:30pm, then I have a game or practice to 5:30-8:00, then drag the field, put bases away and re-stripe the field until 9pm.  My dinner time now is either 3:30pm while at work or 9:30pm after softball.

Today we had our Opening Day at our City Park which we Coaches and Board members maintain.  We spent all day after work yesterday getting the 3 fields ready for 14 games today.  I can't thank our local union halls and coaches enough for volunteering their time for pouring quick set concrete for dugouts, placing and removing forms and placing fencing in record time, we left the city park at 1:30am and showed back up 6:30am to finish up.  Then we had the City "BBSA" Parade with all the teams, police, fire-trucks at 9am.  I finally got home about 10pm. 

People bring their kids to their games and tournaments at ball fields and they never help make the fields ready for a game but it always gets done.

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This is my Son's truck now.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow.

2012 Ram 5.7 Hemi Outdoorsman, 4x4, LSD, Air Bag Suspension.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 03:42:12 PM »

Front end rebuild nite on the 2wd Dakota..... after 224K miles "it's time". going easy and fast, surprising.... got pass side done, both ball joints and upper bushings, have driver upper arm off now, had to burn the bushings out on this side.... inner bushing sleeve seized to control arm shaft... I did screw the new ball joint in 1st, to be sure those threads wouldn't strip out and the BJ would tighten up.....   waiting for the control arm to cool out in the gravel.... ever see front suspension rubber burn? It shrivels up like a mushroom, and SMOKEY!!!!!
it crumbles apart, as it falls away from the rest of itself....

I slowly acquired pieces and parts as I found cheap deals on them via EPay and Rock Auto... the lower ball joints pizzed me off..... advertised as MOOG, came unboxed, clearly not what they were supposed to be....  only other thing not MOOG (this one was on purpose) is the set of Energy Suspension urethane rack bushings.....
off for alignment Thurs.... I gotta drive it to work tomorrow.... will probably quit for today with the BJ's (all4)  and bushings replaced, just have to do the 4 tie rods tomorrow.... that won't take me long.... unless I wanna go to work like a zombie tomorrow, not really but wouldn't be the 1st time...
I painted the upper control arm shafts and frame with some orange paint I found on the shelf to hopefully get the control arms back somewhat close to where they were before I took them apart... we shall see how bad it drives tomorrow.
got 4 new tires ordered for it from Farm and Fleet..... they are coming out with a "new and improved" version of the tire that I am using, so they are clearancing out the "old style" version of them....  they had to get 2 from each of 2 other stores in the pipeline.... 2 are there, waiting on the other 2.... want to get the alignment squared away before I put the new rubber onto it.... hope I get a good alignment, Wish I had access to a rack so I could do it myself (that was my living for nearly 20 years, I HATE having to have someone else work on anything of mine) I definitely ain't going back to the yo yos that aligned my 96 last August.... I gotta find someone that will do it RIGHT, and not treat it as "just an old POS".....   
I have a place in mind to try this time..... as soon as I saw the printout from the 96 I knew I would not be happy with it..... but haven't been able to afford the down time to take it back....
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 05:30:15 PM »

ok... if I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck... front end done on the 92, brand new tires on, (2 with 1000 miles the other 2 with 500)  trans died very abruptly. NO warning. Definite hard part failure. not "basic rebuild" parts by the chunks in pan.    decided with 227K, and 27 years old that it was time to punt. (was actually talked out of fixing, by wife and kid) so I pulled the engine, those new tires, radiator, grill, gas tank and hitch, loaded the bed with random "junk" from around here and had my son haul it over the scale. my 96 Dak will get the grill and such since the wife "modified" the grill that's in it now. (don't ask)

ALMOST bought a 2018 1500 Hemi reg cab/ 8' bed with 4k miles but I just couldn't commit myself to 7 years of payments. 2 Fridays ago.
so, I looked all over CL and found a few promising sounding replacements; one a 96 1500, 1 owner, just under 100k miles, cab and 1/2 with a cap.
another 96 1500  this one a 4wd and green, just over 100k miles. but owner was Mexican, could not understand what he was saying.
and a 99 Dakota, 3.9, cab and 1/2, just over 100k miles, other direction from home and almost 2x as far away.
called on the other 96, the one with less than 100k, "just sold".   so we set sail for Bloomington IL to check on the Dakota. pretty clean looking, old mans truck, thick pile of receipts for maint done since 2002,  little rust showing in bed. VERY clean cab and doors, thought fenders were too.... wife liked it, not what I wanted but ran good and drove good, but had a pull...
itll do what I need it to/  carry me 70 miles a day back n forth to work.  so we brought it home. just barely TOUCHED a rust spot in driver wheel well from within the bed, and a baseball size bubble fell onto the driver rear tire, have hole in wheel well now. but still looks better than most of that era that are still on the road. Interior, cab, doors VERY clean and solid.

On the way to Bloomington the guy with the 1st 96 1500 called to tell me that the buyer didnt take the truck, in case i was still interested but I'd already commited to at least go look at the Dakota.

checked front end when I got it home,  and all 4  ball joints were SHOT.  strange, was aligned 2x within a month, 2k miles ago though that was 3 years ago. This 80 some yo past owner didnt drive much, as bad as the ball joints were, Im sure they were bad when those  alignments were attempted. I'd of been PISSED, they charged him to align it each time, a month and a few hundred miles apart....

so last Friday I replaced all 4 with MOOG ones.  drove much better already. so I set up for alignment this Thurs, (wife off work) and put brand new tires from '92 onto the 99 or rather bolted the back ones on, mounted the fronts but are laying in the bed, had 2 spares I put on so we could drive it in the meantime.

I drove it to work yesterday, mounted my new tires and balanced them after work, on the way home I hit a damn deer. came around a curve and BLAM! there he was standing square in the middle of the road. No time to stop, locked the brakes and tried. hit him going about 50 MPH.  so I took this aft. off of work to go junking.... got most of what I'm gonna need. bumper tweaked on driver side, along with driver side bumper bracket,(didnt get those yet)  I did get   driver side headlite assy, grill, fan shroud, V shaped stiffener brace.
I know a guy who used to work at a stealership that has an NOS condenser available, (AC still blows cold but condenser badly bent so needs changed)

and online, I found the HD radiatator with lines and OEM style aux trans cooler, for about what most wanted locally for the std radiator w/o the extra cooler (like what I took out) everything available for that truck from any source, "imported".... nothing I can do about that.
come to find out the bracing underneath the front fenders isnt as solid and rust free as I thought,  though the fenders look very nice on the outside...
 deer didnt do any fender damage, very small dent on the hood, at very front/center, right behind where grill mounts;  minimal/ definitely livable. pounded 90% of it out with a piece of wood 1x2 and a hammer from bottom side of hood....

all doors and hood still open OK, gaps still look like they did before. so other than a paint blister on the very inner corner of the pass fender I don't see any sheet metal damage from this deer.... so that's good. thought about turning in to insurance, but don't want rate increase and repair bill fixing myself, will be about same as deductible would be.... so I'm doing it myself.

I am looking into a former Fastenal truck, 2014-2017 RAM 1500  with 40K miles or less, reg cab/long bed...  alot cheaper than what they would go for on a lot. may go that route. though I'd rather have a rust free 60s-70s-80s D/W series....I'd love to have my 83 D250 back..... or one like it. biggest problem is all the trucks I am finding that don't have 4 doors are white.... every single stinking one of them.  I currently have 2 white Dakotas and a white Durango which will be getting the 318 out of the 92 dumped into it for now, to get it mobile once again. then to see if I still have the computer issue that screwed up the rebuilt 360 that sits in it.   was originally a 360 truck. tired of it being a dust collector, and the wife reminding me as such. stick the 318 into it, get her off my back while I go thru that 360 and either re rebuild it or else the original 360 which I still have with 258K on it.....
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 05:41:20 PM by donram360 » Logged
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 05:52:29 PM »

Wow man, you had some bad luck lately.  Hopefully you land that newer Ram, you wont have to work on that.

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This is my Son's truck now.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow.

2012 Ram 5.7 Hemi Outdoorsman, 4x4, LSD, Air Bag Suspension.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 07:11:10 AM »

Yeah I thought that I was there with buying a truck with proof of maintenance thru the years until I hit the damn deer.
I wanted to go back to a full size truck again anyway but thought I'd be better avoiding creating another monthly payment, paying cash for this latest Dakota, back to driving the 78 fury daily til I get the rest of the parts needed to fix the deer damage. Still talking about getting the newer one,  if I do then something else will have to leave, might be this newest to me truck, though it would be nice to be able to keep it to eat up the miles and keep them off of the newer truck.
What gets me is that in the type of truck I want all I am finding is white. My 96 4wd is white, my 01 Durango is white so is the 99 that just ate the deer and so are all the conv cab long bed trucks I am looking at
Bionicdodge.Com
Advertisement
Thanks to the following sponsor

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Community  |  Off Topic (Moderators: jusdeez, northwest_5.9)  |  Topic: C'mon guys where are you « previous next »
Jump to: