Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 26, 2019, 02:18:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

99138 Posts in 14241 Topics by 2136 Members
Latest Member: swepty63
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Street Tires, Suspension & Chassis (Moderators: donram360, adamsredlines)  |  Topic: Rack and pinion - spline count? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rack and pinion - spline count?  (Read 173 times)
MadKaw
Site Donor
Global Moderator
Bionic Senior

« on: May 08, 2019, 04:02:18 AM »

Bad rack on the '92. Planning on a reman Dorman to replace it.
I am trying to get all my ducks in a row before I rip it all apart.
I hear horror stories on the lower coupler not coming apart intact, I'd like to have one available when I do the job.

Anyone have experience swapping one out?
On paper, it should be a relatively straightforward job.
Everyone knows that this is not how it goes though..... 
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 07:37:56 AM »

Pretty easy. Dakota? I did my 93 when I had it.
2 weekends ago I put new inner tie rod ends on my 92 along with poly rack bushings. Check with the parts store, they should still be able to get one for that truck. I don't trust dorman parts much, I doubt that they make one that would be a direct fit, probably some adaptation needed, you don't want anything in the steering system Mickey mouse'd for sure.
You will have to take it in for an alignment afterwards.
MadKaw
Site Donor
Global Moderator
Bionic Senior

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 08:41:08 AM »

My second job is at Advance Auto, all they offer is a Dorman rack for it.
I have the bushings and will pick up new outters for it.
I was concerned about the lower coupler / u-joint going away when I take it apart.
We'll see how it goes...........

donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 04:19:44 PM »

I know you work for a chain  "grocery store style" parts store. I worked at Useless Zone for most of a year as a 2nd job back in the mid 90s.  but I am a fleet mechanic and we use Dorman as minimally as possible because we have had issues with their "quality" (or rather lack of)  When I did my 93 I got a Cardone brand reman. It did me fine the rest of the time I had that truck. Most chain store reman parts are from this company no matter what the lable says, theres usually a Cardone label underneath. 
I do not shop advance, I don't get along w/ the manager at the closest store. I used to spend a ton there. That didn't matter to this azz.... there was "Lifetime warranty" and Allan's warranty" which was rarely one and the same. the empoloyees would honor the lifetime aspect and if its something that they didn't have in stock and when you come back to get your warrantied part that Allan isn't the idiot behind the counter.... after the 3rd time of having tore buy a "lifetime warranty" part that another counter person verified would be covered, he claims HIS parts don't ever go bad gotta be a problem with the vehicle"   Every damn time.

There is another advance but there are about 4 or 5 other parts stores besides the close Advance location between me and the "better" store. Guys from the old Car Quest store got transferred there.  I used to love Car Quest. never went anywhere else until dumbass Advance bought them out. They haven't been the same since. And whats with oil, bralke clean, Freon, etc being the highest in town and you guys like to flaunt the prices on the windows as if it were a good deal?   Farm and Fleet, Wal Mart beat Advance on that stuff hands down every time....  when Walmart has R134 on sale for $4.49/can and Advance, Oreilly etc have  aHUGE banner covering their window with "SALE FREON $10.99/can" who do they think they are BS'ing?  I remember going to Walmart for Freon and they were out, I went to Oreillys and the guy was about in tears when he had to price match Walmart....
Bionicdodge.Com
Advertisement
Thanks to the following sponsor

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Street Tires, Suspension & Chassis (Moderators: donram360, adamsredlines)  |  Topic: Rack and pinion - spline count? « previous next »
Jump to: