Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2019, 09:28:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

99231 Posts in 14253 Topics by 2137 Members
Latest Member: ssteve/t
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Stereo & Electronics (Moderator: magnumman)  |  Topic: aftermarket speakers who's good? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: aftermarket speakers who's good?  (Read 104 times)
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« on: August 15, 2019, 04:13:38 PM »

Not looking to break eardrums or compete for loudest anything, may even continue to run stock stereo...or else  a Pioneer that I pulled out of my recently departed '92 Dakota....  My 99 Dakota has the "Infinity" speakers, with 4, 6-1/2" round speakers and 2 tweeters in the doors.... all of the 6-1/2's are blown...  Id say that after 20 years they put in their time.... looking at aftermarket. Infinity (both Reference series and Kappa/ dont know the difference)   also see some Cerwin Vega's on feebay that look tempting.   was thinking of a pair of 3 way's for the back (its a club cab) and a pair of component ones for the doors.
most of these come with crossovers which I have used before on other vehicles....  but being as how this truck is already set up with component speakers, would I need the crossovers in this case?
I have heard that there is an amp in the pass side kick panel on these setups, that back in my days of being at Dakota/Durango website, I remember them saying that this stock amp would need to be bypassed if in fact my truck has one....   any truth to this?   Not an expert on stereo things but I like to hear my classic rock and not popping and cracking..... 
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 12:34:56 PM »

ok... looking again  among what ever brand you may like, lots of choices in any given size,   I looked at Crutchfield,  on a same-model number basis, I found the same speakers that I was looking at Crutchfield, much cheaper on Epay.  but among Epay, I don't get how seller A can sell theirs for ~$40 and seller B wants $100 for the same exact thing.....
within any given brand  many choices to pick from..... I wound up getting some Cerwin Vega's (I went towards their cheap end considering the truck and the rest of the "system" I will be using..... )   never bought this brand before..... but have definitely heard of them.  No COO listed on any of this brand that I have seen, Alpine, Kenwood and such most all made in China.... I think I'd rather "not" know where they came from, than to know they came from China.... these may well be from there too.
magnumman
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 04:17:02 PM »

I doubt those trucks had the amp, its probably controlled by the amp in the head unit.  Im not a fan of Infinity Speakers stock or aftermarket.  I'm a huge fan of the Cerwin Vega replacement speakers, they sound great and can handle the watts they're rated at.  I put in Cerwin Vega's in my kids Trailblazer and it sounds unbelievably great.

If it does have the amp, it should still work fine with Cerwin Vega speakers as long as they are 4 ohm speakers.

If you need to bypass the amp, let me know and you can borrow some phone company wire isolation equipment to make it simple.

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This is my Son's truck now.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow.

2012 Ram 5.7 Hemi Outdoorsman, 4x4, LSD, Air Bag Suspension.
Bionicdodge.Com
Advertisement
Thanks to the following sponsor

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Stereo & Electronics (Moderator: magnumman)  |  Topic: aftermarket speakers who's good? « previous next »
Jump to: