Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2021, 02:36:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

99331 Posts in 14286 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: RedWolf
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Stereo & Electronics (Moderator: magnumman)  |  Topic: aftermarket speakers who's good? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: aftermarket speakers who's good?  (Read 1454 times)
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« on: August 15, 2019, 04:13:38 PM »

Not looking to break eardrums or compete for loudest anything, may even continue to run stock stereo...or else  a Pioneer that I pulled out of my recently departed '92 Dakota....  My 99 Dakota has the "Infinity" speakers, with 4, 6-1/2" round speakers and 2 tweeters in the doors.... all of the 6-1/2's are blown...  Id say that after 20 years they put in their time.... looking at aftermarket. Infinity (both Reference series and Kappa/ dont know the difference)   also see some Cerwin Vega's on feebay that look tempting.   was thinking of a pair of 3 way's for the back (its a club cab) and a pair of component ones for the doors.
most of these come with crossovers which I have used before on other vehicles....  but being as how this truck is already set up with component speakers, would I need the crossovers in this case?
I have heard that there is an amp in the pass side kick panel on these setups, that back in my days of being at Dakota/Durango website, I remember them saying that this stock amp would need to be bypassed if in fact my truck has one....   any truth to this?   Not an expert on stereo things but I like to hear my classic rock and not popping and cracking..... 
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 12:34:56 PM »

ok... looking again  among what ever brand you may like, lots of choices in any given size,   I looked at Crutchfield,  on a same-model number basis, I found the same speakers that I was looking at Crutchfield, much cheaper on Epay.  but among Epay, I don't get how seller A can sell theirs for ~$40 and seller B wants $100 for the same exact thing.....
within any given brand  many choices to pick from..... I wound up getting some Cerwin Vega's (I went towards their cheap end considering the truck and the rest of the "system" I will be using..... )   never bought this brand before..... but have definitely heard of them.  No COO listed on any of this brand that I have seen, Alpine, Kenwood and such most all made in China.... I think I'd rather "not" know where they came from, than to know they came from China.... these may well be from there too.
magnumman
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 04:17:02 PM »

I doubt those trucks had the amp, its probably controlled by the amp in the head unit.  Im not a fan of Infinity Speakers stock or aftermarket.  I'm a huge fan of the Cerwin Vega replacement speakers, they sound great and can handle the watts they're rated at.  I put in Cerwin Vega's in my kids Trailblazer and it sounds unbelievably great.

If it does have the amp, it should still work fine with Cerwin Vega speakers as long as they are 4 ohm speakers.

If you need to bypass the amp, let me know and you can borrow some phone company wire isolation equipment to make it simple.

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This is my Son's truck now.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow.

2012 Ram 5.7 Hemi Outdoorsman, 4x4, LSD, Air Bag Suspension.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 08:13:43 AM »

ok...  LONG POST    the original Infinity speakers were 2 ohm.... I did bypass the amp in the passenger side kick panel closer to when I originally posted this. (didn't realize it had been "that" long ago) all replacement speakers I could find were 4 ohm, I had been told that running 4 ohm speakers thru "that" amp would limit volume to 1/2 of normal if I didn't bypass the stock amp, and that most aftermarket radios (even the "cheapies") had more watts of amplification built into them than  that stock amp would provide, anyways.

I put the new back speakers in back then, but just getting around to putting in the fronts. I am swapping in the radio I had in my 92 Dakota (Its a Kenwood not a Pioneer, not that it matters) I have 2 of these radios identical, had 1 in my 92 Dakota and another in my Wrangler, neither of which I have any longer. but I saved the radios that I put into them. I do have a "home" for the other kenwood, BTW....

I have the 99 in my garage, been there way too long----- between driving my 96 Dakota "anyway" because it's winter--- and the 96 has something the 99 doesn't--- its 4wd--- and I drive 70 miles a day, mostly along back roads--- and the heater core died in the 99, embarassingly,  it has taken me since  I took it apart on Turkey Day, til now, just to put a heater core into it// mainly because of being sick since about Black Friday/ and not even going into the garage for most of December, because of it (I'll say more on that in a minute) but since I still have some of the dash apart so I'm swapping radios anyway/ and the front speakers  have finally died totally-- just took a bit longer to do so than the rears I guess.   When I pulled the original rears they were blown badly-- more like dry rotted all to He11. the paper was separated from the cone, completely broke loose all the way around and the foam around the outer edge was so disintigrated, that it took very little to touch and watch turn to dust.  plus on the heater core I broke a piece that I can't just go to Dodge and buy anymore, and I sure wasn't feeling like 3 hours outside in a junkyard to dismantle another truck just for taht small piece.... a hinge pin for one of the blend air doors that was a casualty of age plus brittle plastic.... I wound up making a replacement out of 1/4" steel rod, some 1/8" flat steel stock and believe it or not, a cut-down big nail. put it all in a vise and got the MIG out and made a new hinge pin. this one will never break.

I have another question about putting in those fronts. Let me add that I am not putting in any further amps or subs, etc beyond the 50 watts or so per channel already built into this radio. Since I had the Infinity system in this truck from new, it has tweeters in the tops of the doors. The speakers I bought for the doors are a component system and came with a crossover per pair in the box with the new speakers. In the past on other vehicles (that didn't have tweeters as part of the original radio/sound system) I have used the included crossovers because well, the vehicle never had any to begin with. Do the Dakotas and Durangos with the Infinity sound system have crossovers "hidden" in them somewhere?
Do I just simply attach the existing wires from the existing speakers to the replacements? Or do I run the original wires to the bigger speakers and wire in the crossovers between those and the replacement tweeters?  
This is no "competition" system, but I like it to sound decent and it gets plenty loud for me without any additional amps, and I'm not crazy about listening to the twang of the car next to me with the quarters and trunk lid vibrating while I'm sitting at a traffic light drowning out the sound of my radio and engine......

ok now the "more later" on the feeling like I wish I was dead..... I originally had to take 2 weeks off work because I live with someone who did test + for covid. (my wife)  I felt fine at first but a few days later I felt like I got hammered by a Mack truck. Tired, sleeping over 1/2 the day away, coughing (very dry) wasnt wanting to eat..... I never had a fever and never lost taste, smell or any other senses.... Went to Dr and tested negative. said I jsut had a typical "upper respiratory infection and I got some antibiotics. 3 days into that I finally started feeling "better" but 6 weeks in  the cough, while greatly diminished still lingers..... Weird because my wife, son, daughter in law, her parents, sister, and more all tested + for covid. Ive had "upper respiratory infection" before, this was nothing like those times.
 Whatever bug they all had, was in and out and gone in a few days. All had different combos of the various symptoms that you have all heard that go with covid. All had the fever, and lost taste/smell for a bit, of which I had neither. they varied with cough, headache, fatigue, etc. I had ALL of that. plus, the 2 times I did go to the garage and try to work, in no time my head spun.... I tried to change the garage furnace... cuz the old one died, and that made it cold out there.
2 wires. Easy. I unscrewed the 1st one and my head started spinning. so back to the couch. 2 days in a row. This was  the last 2 days I was "scheduled" off work before the quarantine ended. I should have stayed home a few extra days. (nother story again) Ive since gotten the heater core and garage T stat done,  well, still gotta put some trim back on the truck and the radio.....headed out to garage to finish it up now.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:16:31 AM by donram360 » Logged
magnumman
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 04:04:09 PM »

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "crossovers" but regardless.  You don't want to wire the tweeters in series with your new speakers, that will divide that channel 25watt for the speaker and 25 watt for the tweeter and you'll be sending the entire frequency range to it, unless it has a resistor on it. Then you could wire it in series. The stock infinity tweeter was most likely wired directly to the Infinity amp at a set frequency range or thru a set EQ somewhere hidden in the truck.  You shouldn't use any of the stock wiring with a new head unit as the stock wiring will run through the Infinity amp.

Glad you're getting back to normal!

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This is my Son's truck now.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow.

2012 Ram 5.7 Hemi Outdoorsman, 4x4, LSD, Air Bag Suspension.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 05:50:38 PM »

crossovers are basically "splitter boxes" when you have a component speaker. the name dont quite fit but I didn't come up with it. + and - for that speaker from the radio or amp connect on one end and separate "woofer" and "tweeter" connections out teh other end. There is a coil in teh crossover box looks like a spool of copper colored thread.... fine (small) gauge wire, several wraps.
Bionicdodge.Com
Advertisement
Thanks to the following sponsor

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Stereo & Electronics (Moderator: magnumman)  |  Topic: aftermarket speakers who's good? « previous next »
Jump to: