Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2020, 03:32:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

99300 Posts in 14280 Topics by 2148 Members
Latest Member: Creton
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Cummins & More, Diesels Galore (Moderator: Lynn)  |  Topic: CRD Liberty Info 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CRD Liberty Info  (Read 11302 times)
Trav1s
You can call me "Rev"
Bionic Master

Saint and Sinner

« on: August 24, 2009, 10:31:55 AM »

Thinking this might be helpful to others, I thought it might be worth creating a thread that addresses differences between the 2005 and 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD.  Please chime in and add information that is pertinent.

2005 MY - first year of production
- 7/70 powertrain warranty

2006 MY - 2nd & last year of production
- 3/36 powertrain warranty
- traction control standard

Driver - 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Columbia Edition 4.7 HO
Toys - Two different 1968 Plymouth Sport Furys - both 383/auto in pieces for a while
"Seek or not, God is there" - Carl Jung
Trav1s
You can call me "Rev"
Bionic Master

Saint and Sinner

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 10:30:40 AM »

I have spent the past 3-4 months researching the CRD Liberty and have learned much.  Some key points about them:

- Requires full synthetic oil
- The drain plug commonly strips out so a Fumoto valve install is a great mod.  (will insert link later...)
- The VM 2.8 diesel uses a timing belt that needs changed at 100k and IS an interference motor.  This engine is still used in "export" Jeeps
- The turbo is a VNT unit and is generally NOT a problem.
- The oil from the crankcase vent is known to cause the lines from the turbo to the intercooler and the intercooler to the intake to go bad.  The splits tend to be very small and easily go unnoticed.  Hoses are anywhere between $250 and $350 with aftermarket options available (Samco).  
- The EGR is problematic but can be bypassed with the "ORM"  
- The front differential is an all aluminum variation on the standard Dana front axle.  The housing can break...
- Transmission is the same unit behind the new hemi engines.  Tranny problems are torque converter/pump related.  
- The "F37" TCU flash was a band-aid fix for torque converters dying under the torque of the diesel.  (Pre-f37 TCU's are highly coveted and very rare.  With the Suncoast converter they are read to play!   -->  http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49619 )
- A Provent system is suggested and prevents oil vapors from gumming up the intake track
- The CRD diesel engine weights about 400lbs more than the 3.7 V6.  
- All CRD's got the factory tow package.
- Not all Limited have leather.  The leather was part of an upgrade package on the later in the production run.  All factory leather is light gray-ish.
- Side air bags were an option and are very unusual from my experience.
- The slides on the rear calipers can bind up, causing drag and reducing fuel economy (on all KJ's)
- There are ECU upgrades available that increase fuel economy from low 20's in town to upper 20's in town and from the mid 20's on the highway to the lower to mid 30's on the highway.

- VIP reports from Chrysler are very helpful to tell you what has and has NOT been done.   Wink

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 07:52:24 AM by Boris T » Logged

Toys - Two different 1968 Plymouth Sport Furys - both 383/auto in pieces for a while
formerice
Bionic Newbie

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 03:19:20 PM »

Hard to believe that the little 2.8l is breaking hemi  torque converters. I've been pounding mine in my RT Magnum with a 100 shot of nitrous for years. Good info.
Trav1s
You can call me "Rev"
Bionic Master

Saint and Sinner

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 04:02:49 PM »

Hard to believe that the little 2.8l is breaking hemi  torque converters. I've been pounding mine in my RT Magnum with a 100 shot of nitrous for years. Good info.

It is not breaking the hemi TQ... it broke the low-stall unit they shipped in them.  The rest of the tranny is solid and handles the torque without a problem.  This tranny with the Euro converter is still in production without problems in the European market. 

There are people who have confirmed the hemi converter will work in the Libby but the stall is off.  Suncoast makes a converter for the CRD Libby that is a great addition... but that will fall under a section called "popular mods for the CRD Liberty."

B1llyw
Site Founder
Bionic Wh0re!

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 01:41:08 AM »

Keep it coming Travis.  I may have to find one for myself now.

Bill White - 2017 Ram 1500, 2017 Jeep Compass (new body style), 2017 Challenger SXT Super Trak Pak
DakFink
Bionic Master

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 04:09:43 AM »

look in the Mercedes Benz market. Here and In Europe.

They have Flash tunes and Custom tuning available for the CRD. Not specifically Mercedes Benz but the same companies that have after market tunes for them. It was actually easier finding Diesel tunes than it was Petrol/Gas tunes.

NOTE: About the transmission. Yes that transmission is used behind the Hemis, as well as in the Crossfire also in just about every Mercedes Benz with an automatic since 2004. 
Mercedes rerer to it as a 766.xxx.   x= numbers assigned to variation based on application.

Been doing some research on crossfires and they look to both the MB and Hemi crowd for Mods.

Only variation of the transmission is the number of clutches it has depending on the application it was used for from the factory.

Just like the  44re, 46re, 48re. The internals will all interchange. Just a matter of how many clutches they have?

Heck the MB performance crowd is looking to the Hemi crowd for trannis.

Mopar or No-Car!!!!

Current rides:
1999 Dakota R/T Solar Yellow
1999 Dakota R/T Flame Red
2004 Ram 3500 Cummins
2006 Mercedes Benz R500
2009 Challenger SRT-8

Hot rodder rule of thumb....every $1 invested in head flow is roughly worth $3 in the short block!!!
Trav1s
You can call me "Rev"
Bionic Master

Saint and Sinner

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 07:40:18 AM »

I guess I will throw the "CRD Liberty Popular Modifications" here for now:

Please forgive the reference to another site but http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ is the most informational site on the net for now  Wink

1. Converter Upgrades
Suncoast has the most DURABLE converter upgrade --> http://www.suncoastconverters.com/

2. ECU Updates
http://www.greendieselengineering.com  --> GDE is the most commonly used out there but is "for off road only"  Wink
The GDE tunes (both ECO and HOT) correct the EGR problems on the CRD as well as boost fuel economy.  Real world numbers are turning up better than those posted on the site.  This is a remove/ship/return ECU upgrade.  The HOT upgrade will eventually kill the stock converter so the Suncoast is highly recommended.

http://www.inmotionusa.com/jeepgraphs.html --> Euro market and I have not read much about them other than they do upgrades for the CRD GC and Libby.  There are remove/ship/return as well as programmer options which I think would be a nice option.

3. Add-on Modules
Striker options work well but do not deal with the EGR issue.  It can also be used to quiet and smooth out the idle by reducing idle fuel pressure.
http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=64075/302.0

I have not read up on any other brands at this time.

DakFink
Bionic Master

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 05:37:24 PM »

InMotion USA

That was one of the Mercedes Benz Tuning Companies that I was thinking of when I wrote the lil bit I know of.

IIRC they are based out of Ireland but have a few reps here in the US that are their Dealers.

Other ones to look at would may be TVT Design or LET Performance.

I think they all use the Byteshooter system for flashing eproms.

I also think this is what BG Chrysler has been using for years as BG Chrysler also does the Mercedes crowd as well.   www.bgmercedes.com

I found most of what I know by accident really. I was doing research on the Crossfire after I found out that a guy in Dallas put a Mercedes V8 in one and had it running on all factory Mercedes Electronics, and kept noticing that there was a lot of Diesel stuff included from the same sourced that do aftermarket stuff fot Mercedes. Of course the GC and Liberty kept popping up!!!

Mopar or No-Car!!!!

Current rides:
1999 Dakota R/T Solar Yellow
1999 Dakota R/T Flame Red
2004 Ram 3500 Cummins
2006 Mercedes Benz R500
2009 Challenger SRT-8

Hot rodder rule of thumb....every $1 invested in head flow is roughly worth $3 in the short block!!!
Trav1s
You can call me "Rev"
Bionic Master

Saint and Sinner

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 06:38:44 PM »

Any knowledge is good knowledge in my book!

Bionicdodge.Com
Advertisement
Thanks to the following sponsor

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Cummins & More, Diesels Galore (Moderator: Lynn)  |  Topic: CRD Liberty Info « previous next »
Jump to: