Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 08, 2020, 09:50:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

99288 Posts in 14278 Topics by 2146 Members
Latest Member: Vito
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Old School Mopar (Moderator: hemifever)  |  Topic: wife's not happy (nother truck followed me home) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: wife's not happy (nother truck followed me home)  (Read 1390 times)
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« on: February 07, 2020, 04:32:56 PM »

just got an 85 D100... thought it was a D150, but nope.  Not sure what the difference is really... back in the day, both were 1/2 tons. 5 lug wheels.
I have been watching this truck "not move" for a few years now, I probably drive thru this town a dozen times a year or so, truck has sat for most of 3 years..... went to machine shop last Saturday across town and went by while I was nearby, and now it had "for sale" signs around it..... as I drove by slow, the old guy came out.... 1st time I have seen anybody nearby....   

a little wavy (like the old man got too close to the garage door frame a time or 2)  but SOLID....my 99 Dakota has more rust by a long shot, and it's way better than most like it round here...

the bed should be easy to pop out, the passenger door.... the easy way out would be to swap it out... my son has a few spares....  but I think the original one should be savable.... might have to get some assistance there though from someone with more "patience" than I have left....

All the times I drove by it, I had assumed it was some sort of V8 under the hood..... nope. It's a slant 6   a whole 225 cid of awesome POWER haha.... strangely though, it does have the 727 trans... yes I know how to tell them apart.   no trailer package or anything, surprising it has the big trans... I've blown out more of the smaller trans behind 318s and 360s than I can remember..... and done swaps to the "big" trans into most of them. and here's a puny 6 with the big trans. weird.
reg cab with a real 8 foot bed.... Ive been lacking that for some time now.
I have had several of these trucks over the years, a few I wish I had never sold, especially my 81 4wd and my 83 3/4 ton 2wd.... they should never have quit building this series of trucks....

It has things on it that you don't see no more, and I wish newer trucks had.... Dimmer switch ON THE FLOOR, wing windows, wiper switch on the dash (imagine that), cowl vents, and a turn signal stalk that does nothing but to operate the turn signals.... not 100 functions in 1 stalk like now a days.... so not to hit the same switch and get the wrong thing to happen..... like try for right turn, and get the brights on... or the wipers... or the horn or the cruise....nope. 1 switch for each function..... back when cars were built like this there were less switch failures..... imagine that.

NO computer to fail.... no injectors to stick and fail..... just a nice simple 1 barrel carburetor..... NO CEL to glare at you... no ALDL....  and less than 100K miles from new.... (yeah I know it only has a 5 digit odometer but I'm quite sure it hasn't been "over"..... ) and no excess doors..... a real 8 foot bed.....  almost no rust..... and CHEAP. 
I've been scouting CL in the South for a few months now..... found a couple I really liked, but then it's "how do I get it back here" before I get my vacation bank at work stockpiled again...… came really close to buying an 85 3/4 ton about 4 months ago..... but it was in TX, a ways from Illinois....

been looking at an 87 4wd 3/4 ton-- 360/4 speed stick, about 6 blocks away in same town.... also sits alot... I caught that guy outside over the summer and got the "I'll never sell/it's a great truck" spiel.... that one is an old fire dept brush truck.... and a sloppy "rolling dumpster"  now that I see that, even though it has "everything else" I'd like to have in a truck, I don't think I want it.... that one would need fumigated at least.
been watching an 87 D150 with a V8 sit and sit and sit, 1/4 mile from home.... left notes in mailbox several times.... had neighbor talk to guy (I know the neighbor to where that truck sat)  and told him I had cash.... still sat.... well upon getting home from machine shop and finally talking to (the now) PO of this 85 to find out the scoop, I went by where the 87 sat and it's gone.... that has happened very recently... never heard from that guy.... so that made up my mind to go back after this 85..... wife is giving me "the scowl"........ though she was with me when I talked to the PO and never really said anything at the time I said I wanted that truck.... all the way home from seeing it, so I thought she was OK with it......  this one I got, was almost an hour from home, 15 minutes from work.

I have a couple of 360 Magnums in the garage, plus 3 (I think) 318 Magnums (1 complete running pull, 2 in pieces, freshly machined) and a very low mile motorhome 440 and trans, in the other garage (that's my son's and he moved out,  but its still here/ so I think that means its mine, right?)  that would go right into this truck..... but for now, I think I am gonna play with the slant 6. I have seen tons of talk about adding a turbo from something like a late 80s  LeBaron Convertible to a slant 6 while retaining a carburetor (seen lots done while using a 2 barrel, some with a small CFM (390-400) 4 barrel..... ) I like this idea. It's "different".
gotta get it running 1st, PO removed intake and exhaust manifold, I have them but they are wrecked, I need at least an exhaust manifold to be able to fire it up...... junkyard run tomorrow....
if that works out then back to the junkyard for what I'm gonna need to add that turbo low buck style......

magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 06:34:22 PM »

Congrats on the new to you truck.  I know the same feeling with wife part LOL.  My wifes response is always the same when I have a package arrive, "this box is heavy as hell! Which did you buy, ammo or truck parts".

I like your turbo Idea,  but the LeBaron turbo seems small for 225 cubic inch and would likely need a rebuild.  There are many new/cheap turbo options out there on ebay and other places, but I don't know how good they are.

Below is an example of what I found with a quick search.
This turbo kit "says" its good for 3.0L to 6.0L.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GT45-T4-V-Band-1-05-A-R-Universal-Turbo-Charger-Oil-Drain-Feed-Return-Line/163991782317?hash=item262eac03ad:g:2SIAAOSwd9hd4MEX

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This is my Son's truck now.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow.

2012 Ram 5.7 Hemi Outdoorsman, 4x4, LSD, Air Bag Suspension.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 05:58:12 PM »

yeah Magnum, went to Acme yesterday, over the summer they still had 3-4 slant 6 vehicles.... now down to 1 in the whole yard. I went to pull the manifolds, got about 2/3 finished and discovered that its exh manifold was cracked in 2.... talked to my buddy in Braceville that's putting a big block in a Duster, thought he might have what I need.... nope. but he called his buddy at the junkyard out that way (I forget exactly where its at only been there once years ago-- NOT the idiot on 53, just south of your town) might have one... Im off work Wed.... gonna check out Thompson's on Otto Rd (Chebanse) as he still has lots of 60s-70s stuff..... and that place out your way. It's kind of by itself a little west of Braceville I think, on a north-south road (at least it was by itself the one time I was out there)  I remember leaving outta there that time headed north and had an "Oh THAT'S where that road comes out" moment but I cant even remember that right now....
I can get exh manifolds new for these engines, but not wanting to spend that kind of coin (and not wanting Dorman Chinesium) until I hear it run....
magnumman
Site Owner
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 04:37:26 PM »

Your thinking of Broadway Auto on Broadway Rd.  LOL They either piss me off or make me happy, nothing in-between.

2001 Ram QC 1500: 360cid, 2wd, K+N CAI, SCT tune, Autolite AP3923\'s, MP 1.7 rollers, MP pushrods, SST rims, Hypertech coil, 10.2mm wires, Gibson super truck exhaust, 3\" magnaflow cat, modified Y pipe, modified kegger, 3.92 LSD, MSD-6, Transgo shift kit, 4.7L Injectors, Hipotek 52mm TB, (Currently under construction for a 408 build)

POS Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, the 4x4 is the only good part. This is my Son's truck now.

2007 Chrysler 300 2.7L "Wifes car" No complaints other than it slow.

2012 Ram 5.7 Hemi Outdoorsman, 4x4, LSD, Air Bag Suspension.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 05:39:20 PM »

well got me a manifold from Thompson's out here on Otto rd, the guy working there is such a stroke.... I rarely buy anything there. now to extract a busted stud (not the same position as the one bad on my original manifold and not yet poorly botched)  hopefully I'll have it running soon.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 03:04:09 PM »

It's running and driving again, new exhaust manifold, distributor, carb ( to get rid of the Lean Burn primitive computer system) and a complete underhood rewire job including adding in an underhood fuse box in place of the original fusible links of which 1/2 of them were melted. As was the front cat (this truck used to have 2 of them, not no more.

Runs nice and smooth, cruises nice but needs "more power" I have another slant 6 on a stand that is headed for the machine shop hopefully before the weekend. I want to work with the 6 instead of swapping in an 8 because the trans, the radiator, and the motor mounts won't work on an 8 and I don't want to have to go find ones that will. I can easily double the power of the original engine with some porting, maybe oversized valves, a head shave and a cam regrind. Which would give this little 6 more power than a stock 360 had back when this truck was new. But while I wait for that to get done I have to get after the back brakes, I hear noise from the driver side drum.
donram360
Administrator
Bionic Supremacist

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 01:37:21 PM »

I'm in the process of collecting parts to fix up this truck how I want it to be, just got an NOS 2 barrel carb (remember this is an inline 6) and a corresponding manifold, a set of NOS rods for the block that I have in the machine shop, in about to send the cam out for a regrind, and more.
I have a really good 1 barrel for it now (NOT the original, I definitely commissioned all the failed oem emissions crap) but my son's truck fell flat so I had to rob my good carburetor to get his truck going. I wasn't wanting to put the 2 BBL on yet, was gonna save that for the fresh engine.
But today I was in the garage welding on my utility trailer, and some guy came by that I have never seen before, started asking me about getting some gravel for my driveway, then started asking me about my truck, and wants to buy it, then the driver who brought him by gets out and started asking a million questions about it.
I told them that I just got it a couple of months back and did so to fix up for myself, not to resell. These idiots would not back off, both in mid 60s ( at least)
Being as how I was under the trailer trying to position a patch of metal on the underside of the fender and starting to weld it in (not enjoying the shower of Sparks) I really got caught off guard by them and when asked what I would have to get for it in order to sell it I shot them a number too low, more than I paid but with work done to date and parts accumulated so far I can't really let it go for that amount. The driver starts asking what time I get home tomorrow, he's supposed to be by with cash (not by my request but by the pushiness of the pair) tomorrow.
Why is it that when I WANT to sell something I can't get anyone interested in whatever it is to save my life? I told them of one very much like mine on Craigslist about 45 minutes away for double the price that I shot out. I can't replace what I have for that amount.
Bionicdodge.Com
Advertisement
Thanks to the following sponsor

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Old School Mopar (Moderator: hemifever)  |  Topic: wife's not happy (nother truck followed me home) « previous next »
Jump to: