Bionicdodge.Com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 24, 2019, 12:56:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

99215 Posts in 14249 Topics by 2137 Members
Latest Member: ssteve/t
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Street Tires, Suspension & Chassis (Moderators: donram360, adamsredlines)  |  Topic: X-Brace Fabrication. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: X-Brace Fabrication.  (Read 19695 times)
98Dak408
Site Donor
Administrator
Bionic Wh0re!

« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2009, 04:28:44 PM »

Wow, I just read threw this thread twice, and I have to say I'm very impressed, do you have any idea on how much more difficult it would be to do this for a GEN II. I'm planning on a very similar build, if not identical. I'd gladly pay you for one of the one you are making up extra.
I'm in the process of putting a website together and finalizing prices for various items in order to try and sell a few.  (The x-brace looks simple enough but is fairly involved trying to get it right and set it up for low volume production.)

I would certainly sell you one of the generation III x-braces but don't know how well it would fit a generation II.  Is yours a RC or CC?  Do you have any pics of the underside?  Trans crossmember, center, and rear by the front of the leafs?  If I had some very reliable measurements or a vehicle to mock-up from I would certainly consider it.  I have a 1990 Dak 4x4 but I don't know how much different it is from the 4x2 model. 

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have my truck back on the road and have space in my garage for a generation III RC mock-up.  A guy on another forum lives in the Detroit area and says he is willing to bring his RC truck over for me to take measurements from and/or mock-up.  I would also consider the generation II but want to make sure I am providing something that fits.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 04:30:15 PM by 98Dak408 » Logged

rtxpres
Bionic Senior

« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2009, 12:54:04 AM »

Wow, I just read threw this thread twice, and I have to say I'm very impressed, do you have any idea on how much more difficult it would be to do this for a GEN II.

Not trying to take any business away from Richard, but 1987-1996 Daks have a simpler, less expensive option for improved handling and chassis control.   Energy Suspension has urethane cab bushings that really stiffen the chassis.    Combine those with their spring and sway bar bushings for a truly significant difference.     http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/dgt1.html     Works great on mine!     Thumb

Block Party Racing
'92 Dakota 5.2L - 12.92 @ 105.07
Mod List & More
'00 Grand Cherokee 4x4 4.7L - 15.28 @ 87.22
'02 Stratus R/T Sedan 2.7L - 16.12 @ 86.32
98Dak408
Site Donor
Administrator
Bionic Wh0re!

« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2009, 01:40:57 AM »

Not trying to take any business away from Richard, but 1987-1996 Daks have a simpler, less expensive option for improved handling and chassis control.   Energy Suspension has urethane cab bushings that really stiffen the chassis.    Combine those with their spring and sway bar bushings for a truly significant difference.     http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/dgt1.html     Works great on mine!

Yes, the Energy Suspension cab bushings would help, along with the sway bar bushings.  I put solid aluminum body bushings on my Mustang, as well as the Energy Suspension sway bar bushings.  It improved the handling. The transference of shock through the body was greater, but you could feel the road better as well.  The problem with a truck over a unibody vehicle is, that even though the truck has a full frame, the cab and bed aren’t tied together, and it flexes.  That’s where an x-brace helps out and enhances handling characteristics.  The Energy Suspension stuff will also increase the handling capabilities, as will other components such as beefier sway bars, a Hotchkis TVS suspension kit, etc.   I’ve got Energy Suspension upper and lower control arm bushings that I plan to install on my truck at some point.  That will also enhance the handling capabilities of the truck.

As Ray stated, those improvements will certainly help, especially for lack of other chassis components and a limited budget.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:42:12 AM by 98Dak408 » Logged

87DakBuilder
Bionic Newbie

« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2009, 04:27:36 AM »

I have the engergy suspension bushings in my custom upper control arms, and I'll have them in my custom lower control arms once  they are completed. I also have the cab bushings, and I definately agree that they help out tremendously with handling, but my truck is a street strip vehicle with a 390 stroker and a 200 shot of N20, and I'm pretty sure that using this X brace will help to stiffen the frame for hard launches (I have a Tko-600) and I plan on launching at 4500 - 5000 Rpms, that will cause some serious flex in the chassis if I don't stiffen it up.  I don't have pics of the underside yet, but I could get you some, I've got a buddy in the Detroit area with a 94  extended cab (same as my 91) and I may be able to hook you too up so that you can get some measurements. Long story short, I'm extremely interested in this product, and I feel that I could make it work on with my application if need be.
98Dak408
Site Donor
Administrator
Bionic Wh0re!

« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2009, 07:00:30 AM »

I just crawled under my '90 Dak 4x4.  I have a feeling the frame is different in many ways so it's not a good comparison.  However, the width of the frame rails midway is within a 1/4" of my '98.  The driveshaft offset is the same.  The crossmember I fabricated for the generation III Dak fits.  It's a matter of where it has to be place and how far the driveshaft drops.  There rear legs of the brace will probably fit (the bends seem correct).  I wonder about the configuration of the trans crossmember and the distances from there to the front of the rear leafs.  If the distance was known, the Pythagorean theorem (a-squared + b-squared = c-squared) would provide a fairly accurate length of each leg.  It’s something to think about.

87DakBuilder
Bionic Newbie

« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2009, 09:00:36 AM »

I can crawl under my truck today and get that measurement for yah. The only difference between the 4x4 and the 4x2 is in the front suspension setup, the 4x4's have torsion bars and the 4x2's don't. They are pretty much identical from 87-96. So I'm pretty sure your product will be close. I don't have a fuel tank in the stock location, as I have a fuel cell, so bends for my application would be slightly different, but anyway you put it together I'll take. Can you post up the website with the prices in this thread or shoot me a pm if you feel more comfortable that way. I'd love to pull the trigger on this ASAP.
98Dak408
Site Donor
Administrator
Bionic Wh0re!

« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2009, 03:34:47 AM »

Can you post up the website with the prices in this thread or shoot me a pm if you feel more comfortable that way. I'd love to pull the trigger on this ASAP.
I'll have that together shortly and then I'll post it.

98Dak408
Site Donor
Administrator
Bionic Wh0re!

« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2009, 12:51:42 PM »

I have progressed with this x-brace endeavor to the point where I can provide a product offering.  To view the available items, please go to the HiPoTek (High Performance Technology) website via the following link: http://www.hi-potek.com

In order to kick things off, I will provide a 10% discount from 5/18/09 to 6/01/09, to any forum member (registered user) that emails me at Richard@hi-potek.com with proof of the forum and their membership.  I will then provide that member with a promotion code that will allow them to receive the 10% discount upon purchasing any and all items, regardless of the number of items purchased, or the number of purchase occurrences, during the designated 2 week time period.  At the end of the 2 week period, the promotion will end. 

In order to verify your membership in the forum, please do the following:
1.   Click on your user name to bring up your profile.
2.   Once in your profile, copy the address in the top address bar of your screen, and paste it into your email to me at Richard@hi-potek.com
3.   Once I receive the email, I can click on that for verification.

Some items are in stock and other items will have to be custom made.

I will be out of town for a few days but will get back with you ASAP.

Thank you for your interest and patience, Richard
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 06:14:01 PM by 98Dak408 » Logged

87DakBuilder
Bionic Newbie

« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2009, 02:52:22 PM »

Thanks for getting the website up, but you don't have a X-brace for the Gen II's, I know we talked about you not having a Gen II for mock up and testing, but I'm still very interested in buying the X-brace for my truck.
98Dak408
Site Donor
Administrator
Bionic Wh0re!

« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2009, 11:22:14 AM »

Thanks for getting the website up, but you don't have a X-brace for the Gen II's, I know we talked about you not having a Gen II for mock up and testing, but I'm still very interested in buying the X-brace for my truck.
Yeah, I don’t know how close the generation III is to the generation II.  I can’t assure you that it will fit without any problem without an actual examination and or mock-up.

87DakBuilder
Bionic Newbie

« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2009, 09:59:58 AM »

When I get home today, I'm going to check to see if I have the factory X-member, and I'll post some pics up for yah. I hope this will help,  I already placed my order and will be getting back to you on that one as well.
87DakBuilder
Bionic Newbie

« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2009, 06:26:11 PM »

Rich, I sent you an email about the Xmember, let me know if you get it.
98Dak408
Site Donor
Administrator
Bionic Wh0re!

« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2009, 07:23:54 PM »

I got it Frank.  No problem.  Email sent.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 07:26:13 PM by 98Dak408 » Logged

98Dak408
Site Donor
Administrator
Bionic Wh0re!

« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2009, 09:38:24 AM »

Finally got mine installed, complete with front and rear drive shaft loops.    Very Happy

* P5300054.JPG (117.93 KB, 640x480 - viewed 239 times.)

Salarguy
Gramps
Global Moderator
Bionic Master

« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2009, 11:03:06 AM »

Excellent Richard! You should be proud.

Women should put pictures of their missing husbands on beer cans. If drinking and driving is illegal, why do bars have parking lots?
Bionicdodge.Com
Advertisement
Thanks to the following sponsor

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
Bionicdodge.Com  |  Bionic Tech  |  Street Tires, Suspension & Chassis (Moderators: donram360, adamsredlines)  |  Topic: X-Brace Fabrication. « previous next »
Jump to: